Shooting prone in the sticky stuff

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by esshup, Jun 29, 2008.

1. esshup

esshup Well-Known Member

Considering that I've been succesful in the Wy Antelope draw, I'll probably be hunting them where there are sharp pointy things. Since I don't have a nice portable bench like Kirby does (and damn, that's a nice one!) I'll need a shooting mat to protect my sensitive skin.;)

Any and all suggestions on what to get, and where to get it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

2. ss7mm

ss7mm Writers Guild

Put "shooting mat" in the search and it'll get you a lot of suggestions and a lot of reading.

3. esshup

esshup Well-Known Member

500 threads is more than I have time to go thru. I was hoping to cut some of the fluff out of the process.......

4. gamedog

gamedog Well-Known Member

5. Natty Bumpo

Natty Bumpo Well-Known Member

I'm a lifelong midwesterner and went antelope hunting for the first time last fall in Wyoming. Never wished I'd brought a shooting mat, but I sure wished I'd brought knee and elbow pads!

6. Boman

Boman Well-Known Member

I agree with the knee and elbow pads. Don't forget bug spray either.

7. eshell

eshell Well-Known Member

And a cup . . .

8. Big Sky

Big Sky <b>SPONSOR</b>

The wise-crack about a cup wouldn't be so funny if I hadn't tried to accidently breed a cactus last fall while taking photos of the buck I had just killed. I was so focused on getting a good photograph I failed to notice the cactus I was about to ...uh, er, mount. In case any of y'all are wondering yes it hurts about as bad as you'd imagine...and then some. Hope to never repeat that little "life-lesson".

9. esshup

esshup Well-Known Member

Thanks for all the replies. The mat should be delivered on Monday along with a couple of other things ;), and I stopped at the local Lowes and picked up a set of elbow/knee pads.. They're the type that has hard plastic on the outside - the textrued stuff, not the smooth ones.

Thanks again!