Shooting iron sights

FyreCalG17

I grew up on the Texas Gulf coast, surrounded by marshland, rice fields, and the edge of the Big Thicket. As a kid I always had a 12 gauge, 22lr, and a Sheridan Blue Streak 5mm pellet gun. Well, to make a long story short, I didn't always have money for shotgun shells, so most of my hunting was with the 22lr or pellet gun. I've killed everything from raccoon to feral dogs. Now before anyone accuses me of cruelty to animals, the feral dogs would eventually form packs and start harming livestock. As a 12 year old kid, I took pride in my ability to get close enough to a feral dog to take him out with an air rifle. One well placed shot through the ear would drop them right where they stood.
Its amazing what a well placed shot with a 22lr or pellet gun will do to small game such as raccoon, rabbits, squirrels, etc.

The purpose of this long story is to ask, what is the longest kill shot anyone has made on a small animal with open sights. Everyone talks about scopes, but I never hear anyone mention iron sights.

For me, I was very confident and consistent with iron sights out to 75 yrds with the 22lr and about 30-40 yrds with the air rifle although I preferred inside of 30 for it.

FCG, i haven't really explored LR shooting with open sights, but here's an article about a guy that used a mathematical approach to it--

Long Range Accuracy

There was also a series of articles in Precision Shooting magazine about another guy who used a similar system and was shooting his handguns out to 1000 yds, and even beyond.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.