Shooting angle formula needed

Tumbleweed

Does anyone have a simple formula that can be used to calculate shooting angle in degrees when the altitude is known at point A and B as well as the straight line distance between the two? This will be very usefull in estimating correct "shoot to" distances using google earth. I may have been able to find the info but did not want to spend an hour searching if someone has an answer. Thanks

The formula for calculating sine angle is not that simple, much easier to print out a table and keep it with you. Sine=opposite/hypotenuse, the opposite being the difference in elevation and the hypotenuse being the line of sight distance. Then you can use the table to find the angle in degrees.

The formula for calculating sine angle is not that simple, much easier to print out a table and keep it with you. Sine=opposite/hypotenuse, the opposite being the difference in elevation and the hypotenuse being the line of sight distance. Then you can use the table to find the angle in degrees.

I do carry an angle finder in the field with a chart that will convert the angle to cosine. I then of course do the math to find the shoot to distance. I'm just referring to using google earth planning out possible shots and shooting positions. The altitudes are known and the straight line distance is also known, just want to be able to calculate the shooting angle and therefore the actual shoot to distance from my computer:)

arcsin (Y/H) = angle,

where Y = elevation difference and H = rangefinder distance to target.

Or

arctan (Y/X) = angle,

where Y = elevation difference and X = horizontal distance to target.

However, if you already have the horizontal distance, you don't need to do the above. Horizontal distance is what the bullet cares about in the first place.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.