Shoot it or make it a safe queen?

I don't think that's a valid explanation. There's nothing that can be learned from a 100% condition rifle that can't be learned from a 90% one.

I do believe some are hanging onto them expecting a big payday down the line. If so, fine. I'm not going to be the one rewarding them for storing a rifle for 40 years. Gimme the 90% and let's go have some fun.

1 vote for fully protected, safe queen. It can only be "never fired", only once. Your "friend" and neighbor kept it this long, you can be the steward for it now. Buy a used one and shoot the crap out of it, if you feel the need. That said, if the need arises in the future, it'll always be there to use...

The thing is, collectors want non-fired ones. Period, and willing to pay for it. Haven't looked but would be willing to bet an unfired 77, from the 80s would be well worth 3-4 times as much as a "shooter". So why throw away money, when you can have a shooter to shoot, and the money from the collectible one. I understand your attitude as have a buddy who's the same way. If I can't shoot it why have it. Well, fine, but if more valuable unfired, why not sell it and buy a shooter. But inability to appreciate a non-fired collectible shouldn't be a reason to ruin one, just because you think they should be shot.

Picked it up this evening.

Attachments

• IMG_0407.JPG
    IMG_0407.JPG
    608.8 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG_0406.JPG
    IMG_0406.JPG
    451 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_0407.JPG
    IMG_0407.JPG
    608.8 KB · Views: 95
If I inherited a minty 68 Fastback with 5000 miles on the clock am i going to build a garage around it so my buddies can get drunk staring at it all weekend while debating what the best years to own are? Pfftt, hell no I'ma gonna drive that bee-otch!
I've had the chance to buy some very low mileage original Corvettes, but did not. I already own one piece of garage art, and don't need more of them with kids in college.

I passed the opportunity on to friends...and now we sit in their garage and look at them. :D

but what is anyone learning owning a vet? as I noted, gun collectors are also historians and use the guns as part of the art. And a car can be restored and regain it's value, but a gun can't.

but what is anyone learning owning a vet? as I noted, gun collectors are also historians and use the guns as part of the art. And a car can be restored and regain it's value, but a gun can't.
We learn now they were assembled on Day 1, the finishes, the flaws, the same you would learn on any excellent condition unrestored object.

There are 15000 of us in this club that are Corvette historians:
www.ncrs.org

Oh, and generally speaking unrestored cars are more valuable too.

Turnbull does restoreations, but not necessarily accepted by collectors, and so costly, it is only reasonable for firearms where many $1000 are considered. Point is, WHY f/u a perfectly good collector piece, by ditzing around shooting it, when you can sell it to a collector, make some bucks on it, they are happy with getting it, and you are coming out on top, as can get a shooter, and ammo, etc. See Dr. Vette's remarks about the unrestored cars worth more too. I have a friend here, professional mechanic, who restores cars. NOT inexpensive. Just respect the gun and what it is, and let a collector who will appreciate it have it, and go use the money for a shooter, if that's what you want.

You're treating this like he's going to drill and tap Teddy Roosevelt's 405 for a red dot. This is a common sporting rifle in a common caliber. If he wants to shoot it down the road so what? I'm not going to report him to the collectors association if he does.

You know I think about that ammo allot, I have at least a thousand rounds of reloads for every caliber gun I own. And in Montana that's many. I love to reload one at a time on my old RCBS Rock Chucker, I will go blast away a mag of 223 or 208 just for the brass! Luckily I have friends who will be standing in line to get the reloads.

You're treating this like he's going to drill and tap Teddy Roosevelt's 405 for a red dot. This is a common sporting rifle in a common caliber. If he wants to shoot it down the road so what? I'm not going to report him to the collectors association if he does.
Oh, and I agree with this one.
I suspect that an unshot 1982 Ruger is not worth much more than one in the store today. If I'm wrong, sell it and move on.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.