Shipping a gun from California

gonewest

I need to find something out. Does a person need a FFL license in California to ship a firearm to a FFL dealer in Michigan? I just received a rifle from PA and the seller didn't have a FFL license he just had to have my gunsmiths FFL license info and mailed it from the post office. Thanks I really need to find this out.

After a quick check of Kalifornias' DOJ web site it doesn't look (to me anyway) like it's legal to transfer any-thing any-where without a 'paper work' being involved. I'd look at the web site (I entered 'california DOJ firearms' into search engine) . Near the bottom on Page 37 of 'Booklet'

Assuming your the legal owner and based on the type of firearm I think you as the seller doesn't need to have an FFL however it can only be shipped to an FFL holder. To be sure I'd contact CDOJ via email...always good to have a paper trail.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.