Shell holders

freebird63

I recently aquired a custom built 280 Ackley Improved, included with the gun was a set of Lee full length re-sizer dies and in the plastic box came a shell holder. Also included were some brass. Some of the brass was 280 brass and some was 30/06 brass. My question for anyone out, does it really matter if the shell holder is for a regular 280 or a 30/06 or does it have to be for a 280AI
Thanks a bunch

does it really matter if the shell holder is for a regular 280 or a 30/06 or does it have to be for a 280AI

There are many cartridges today that originated with the 30-06 case. It has a .473" casehead.
When you stand a 30-06 next to a 280, you'll notice they are the same case -with one necked down to 28cal. A 260, 243, 6br, or 22-250 are the same 30-06 case formed shorter and necked to cal.
Same .473 head shellholder for all

These are designated with a reference number:
http://www.handloads.com/misc/shellholders.asp

Last edited:
.......... And all this time I thought a .243 was a necked down .308!!!!

And it is indeed. And a chek of the shell holders for the cartridges Mike listed, and many others, will show they share the same shell holder. :D

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.