Sharpie effects on accuracy?

craigp40

Does marking a bullet with a Sharpie have an effect on its accuracy?

I was doing some shooting for load development today. Just 3-shot groups at 100yds. When loading the rounds last night, I marked a few with a Sharpie to verify the bullet was touching the lands. I put on a pretty heavy coat and did not wipe it off. Groups were eratic on the loads I marked. Then, at one load, only one of the three bullets were marked. Two went through the same hole, the 3rd about 3/4" away. The flyer was the Sharpie'd round. This got me to thinking that the ink could be impacting accuracy. Any thoughts? I plan to verify this load just to be sure, but was wondering if you guys had any opinions on this.

Yep, sharpie ON THE BEARING SURFACE!!! will change the POI. If its only in front of the BS there will be no change at all. Why would you want to sharpie a bullet other than checking seating depth? it leaves a colored ring around the bullet hole. You can shoot multiple rifles on the same target, and still distinguish which holes belong to which rifle, detecting and identifying crossfires, and you can shoot multiple loads onto the same target (like during load develpment) without having to change your benchsetup to a ajacent target. If anybody is thinking of trying it, red, blue and green are most visible. Just keep it out of the BS an all will be well.

Well, that answers it. I had it covering from just above where the lands touches down to the case neck. I usually don't use this method, but thought I would give it a try against my Stoney Point gauge for verifying my OAL. The goal was to seat .010" into the lands. I probably won't be doing this again. I do like your idea about color coding though.

Yea...what adam said /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif I have been marking mine for a while, and hasnt hurt me.

That said...KEEP IT AHEAD OF THE OGIVE /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

blue and red has workled the best for me...

JB

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.