setting my sons 30/06 for his 1st Elk hunt

When you both go to range take the BLR 243 also ,shot at white paper plates yud buy for camping past a sticky 3inch red dot on the plates ,agreed shoot close 25,50,yards , this builds confidence , use proper bench shooting skills solid front rest , sand bag rear rest ,switch off between the two rifles and Explain the differences of both ,Make it fun , take breaks, show him how to clean the rifles , tell him this is Both Special times for him n You ,take a lunch pack it together , chat it up , take a wet hand towel with Dawn dish soap to clean your hands good so you can eat your lunch , you've planed ahead by setting that BDL aside till he was of age now make it fun n Not Work , my Congats to you both and wishing you many Great times together & Hunting !!! Lots of great advice Cheers ! PS take a spotting scope with you both !

Before you touch the stock or try to free-float the barrel, adjust the trigger down to about 3 1/2 lbs and then shoot it. Or have a good gunsmith put a Timney trigger in it and shoot it. If you reload, try Remington or Hornaday brass, Remington 9 1/2 primers (standard, not magnum) and IMR 4350. You have a 22 inch barrel, and open sights on that rifle, so zero the sights before you mount the scope. It gives you a backup if you damage the scope. 55.0 grains of IMR 4350 and a Sierra Gameking 180 grain or Pro Hunter 180 grain bullet will give you about 2650fps from that rifle. A substitute bullet is the Speer HotCor 180 or the Speer Boat tail 180grain. The difference in trajectory for these bullets at 400 yards is only around 2 inches from the lowest BC to the highest. I shoot the Pro Hunter or the HorCor here in Colorado because above 8000 feet the trajectory is flatter with either of them than the Sierra Gameking at 1000 feet. What altitude will you be hunting on average? 6000-8000ft, 8000 to 10000ft? It makes a difference. At 8000 ft, with a Sierra gameking9BC of .51) at about 2650, and a zero of 200 yards, your drop at 400 yards is about 23 to 24 inches. With a Prohunter(BC .41) you have a drop of 24 to 26 inches. The two speer bullets are about the same. But shoot the rifle first, maybe even before adjusting the trigger. If it groups inside 1.25 inches at 100 yards, shoot at 200 or 300 yards, and if its inside 2.5 at 200 or 4 inches at 300 yards, adjust the trigger for a good pull and go hunting. Its a hunting rifle, and 1.25in at 100 yards with factory loads means its a shooter, and you're going to have to reload to get much better than that.

My 1984 Remington Classic in 30-06 did not need a new trigger. It readily adjusted to 3 lbs and has been there for over 30 years. I did bed it and it shoots multiple 180gr loads into an inch or better. You don't need F-Class match accuracy to hunt elk. A 30-06 with a 22 inch barrel will most likely be effective on elk to 600+ yards but not much more. It's not a superb long range caliber for elk but it's a great elk cartridge. I would go out past 500 to 600 with confidence but I like to train my boys out to those distances and hope for less than 500. Less than 400 is even better. You're working with good equipment, adjust the trigger (or have it adjusted if it's not something you're comfortable with), they're nowhere near as bad as the garbage that Remington's lawyers put on their rifles today. The Vortex Vipers I've used (4 of them) are either good or they're not. 1 of the 4 was junk but the other 3 have worked well for years. Bed the stock, or pay to have it bedded if you prefer. Mount the scope yourself. Watch the videos on Utoob and buy a few tools, I guarantee you care more about it being done right than some guy at Jimbo Jane's Shooting Supplies who hurries through the task so that he can shove that bore sighting spud down the muzzle of your gun to do some serious scope dialing. I spend 8 or 10 times as long mounting my scopes as they would and I enjoy every minute of it. Also, unless you can't find any factory loads that will work for you, you don't have to reload. One of the great things about 30-06's is they don't drive bullets to Mach 50 so many cup and core bullets will work fine for elk. Especially in Wyoming where 200 yard shots are often considered 'close'.

I'm not saying that anyone else's advice here is wrong, it's certainly not. I learn a lot from these guys and truly appreciate their years of experience and wisdom. But I thought I'd take a simpler approach and make the suggestions that maybe, with a few simple, inexpensive, and, in my opinion, fun modifications to this rifle, it will likely provide all of the gun you need for your son to kill an elk.

Best of luck,

Cross

I have a couple of Rem. 700 3006 spr, and my son has the same M 700 SYN in 308 win. My 3006 loves the Barnes factory 150 TTSX it shoots about .5/.6 the same load in a 308 win. shoots a solid 1 inch group at 200 yards in my sons rifle. That load drops elk very well, it will punch through thick bone with very good internal damage and exit.
I would also try rem. core/lok 180 gr. and any of Federal premium loads. The 180 gr. federal copper load shot .75 in my 06. and the 165 gr. was a bit smaller. We did replace both of our triggers with timneys, and free floated our barrels after shooting them a bit.

Good luck!

My 1984 Remington Classic in 30-06 did not need a new trigger. It readily adjusted to 3 lbs and has been there for over 30 years. I did bed it and it shoots multiple 180gr loads into an inch or better. You don't need F-Class match accuracy to hunt elk. A 30-06 with a 22 inch barrel will most likely be effective on elk to 600+ yards but not much more. It's not a superb long range caliber for elk but it's a great elk cartridge. I would go out past 500 to 600 with confidence but I like to train my boys out to those distances and hope for less than 500. Less than 400 is even better. You're working with good equipment, adjust the trigger (or have it adjusted if it's not something you're comfortable with), they're nowhere near as bad as the garbage that Remington's lawyers put on their rifles today. The Vortex Vipers I've used (4 of them) are either good or they're not. 1 of the 4 was junk but the other 3 have worked well for years. Bed the stock, or pay to have it bedded if you prefer. Mount the scope yourself. Watch the videos on Utoob and buy a few tools, I guarantee you care more about it being done right than some guy at Jimbo Jane's Shooting Supplies who hurries through the task so that he can shove that bore sighting spud down the muzzle of your gun to do some serious scope dialing. I spend 8 or 10 times as long mounting my scopes as they would and I enjoy every minute of it. Also, unless you can't find any factory loads that will work for you, you don't have to reload. One of the great things about 30-06's is they don't drive bullets to Mach 50 so many cup and core bullets will work fine for elk. Especially in Wyoming where 200 yard shots are often considered 'close'.

I'm not saying that anyone else's advice here is wrong, it's certainly not. I learn a lot from these guys and truly appreciate their years of experience and wisdom. But I thought I'd take a simpler approach and make the suggestions that maybe, with a few simple, inexpensive, and, in my opinion, fun modifications to this rifle, it will likely provide all of the gun you need for your son to kill an elk.

Best of luck,

Cross
Mr. Cross, that's all good advice. I wouldn't free float the barrel or bed it until I shot it on the bench. Then get it bedded. I use Wheeler scope levels and Wheeler torque drivers to mount my own scopes, too. I'm also playing with some 200 grain loads for the 30-06, Speer and Sierra bullets. They can be pushed above 2600fps in a 22 inch tube and above 2650 in a 24 inch tube. They're good for at least 500 yards due to the weight and density of the bullet. Penetration is excellent. Lee lists a max velocity of 2680 or so, and Lyman lists a max velocity of 2655fps with different powders in a 24 inch barrel. Speer lists their HotCor 200 grain at a max of 2670 or so. These bullets deliver around 3,000 to 3,200ftlb of energy at the muzzle and retain nearly 2,000ftlb at 400 yards. If I replaced the trigger, I'd use a Timney.

When you both go to range take the BLR 243 also ,shot at white paper plates yud buy for camping past a sticky 3inch red dot on the plates ,agreed shoot close 25,50,yards , this builds confidence , use proper bench shooting skills solid front rest , sand bag rear rest ,switch off between the two rifles and Explain the differences of both ,Make it fun , take breaks, show him how to clean the rifles , tell him this is Both Special times for him n You ,take a lunch pack it together , chat it up , take a wet hand towel with Dawn dish soap to clean your hands good so you can eat your lunch , you've planed ahead by setting that BDL aside till he was of age now make it fun n Not Work , my Congats to you both and wishing you many Great times together & Hunting !!! Lots of great advice Cheers ! PS take a spotting scope with you both !

I like your thinking but do not know if I can keep him at the range that long. Maybe insisting that he has to shoot better than me might help. Yes, I hope it will be a real bonding time and he looks back at this special hunt when I am gone. I know I will be real proud if he can drop his 1st Elk on this trip. With his job $$$$ he will be able to afford to go a few times in his lifetime.

Before you touch the stock or try to free-float the barrel, adjust the trigger down to about 3 1/2 lbs and then shoot it. Or have a good gunsmith put a Timney trigger in it and shoot it. If you reload, try Remington or Hornaday brass, Remington 9 1/2 primers (standard, not magnum) and IMR 4350. You have a 22 inch barrel, and open sights on that rifle, so zero the sights before you mount the scope. It gives you a backup if you damage the scope. 55.0 grains of IMR 4350 and a Sierra Gameking 180 grain or Pro Hunter 180 grain bullet will give you about 2650fps from that rifle. A substitute bullet is the Speer HotCor 180 or the Speer Boat tail 180grain. The difference in trajectory for these bullets at 400 yards is only around 2 inches from the lowest BC to the highest. I shoot the Pro Hunter or the HorCor here in Colorado because above 8000 feet the trajectory is flatter with either of them than the Sierra Gameking at 1000 feet. What altitude will you be hunting on average? 6000-8000ft, 8000 to 10000ft? It makes a difference. At 8000 ft, with a Sierra gameking9BC of .51) at about 2650, and a zero of 200 yards, your drop at 400 yards is about 23 to 24 inches. With a Prohunter(BC .41) you have a drop of 24 to 26 inches. The two speer bullets are about the same. But shoot the rifle first, maybe even before adjusting the trigger. If it groups inside 1.25 inches at 100 yards, shoot at 200 or 300 yards, and if its inside 2.5 at 200 or 4 inches at 300 yards, adjust the trigger for a good pull and go hunting. Its a hunting rifle, and 1.25in at 100 yards with factory loads means its a shooter, and you're going to have to reload to get much better than that.

We will be in the 8000-10000 ft elevation.

I was able to pickup some Black Hills ammo for his gun to try. Seems a lot of articles I read that the Black Hills stuff usually comes out near the top for factory ammo.

I was able to pickup some Black Hills ammo for his gun to try. Seems a lot of articles I read that the Black Hills stuff usually comes out near the top for factory ammo.
You might take a look at Buffalo Bore ammunition, too. Their 180 grain load uses a very good projectile at a velocity of over 2800fps and is very accurate. Federal Gold Medal ammunition is also quite accurate. Try several brands and go with what's most accurate in your rifle.

Trigger first. Bed it next. See how it goes with practice. Make sure he isn't flinching. If flinching then muzzle brake. Then more practice. Still not good now ammo.

Not all that familiar with Rem 700s, but I've put Erniethegunsmith's springs in all of my Rugers. I use the hunting springs and get about 2.5 lb pull. Of course, if the trigger is crap full of travel/creep or gritty, it won't help much. About $7-$8 bucks and great improvement.

If you're going to do a trigger job, have a good gunsmith do it. Or just replace it with one of the good replacement triggers. And have a gunsmith do it. But shoot it first. The older Remingtons had very good hunting triggers, and you don't want too light a trigger on your son's hunting rifle anyway. So shoot it first. Before you do anything to the rifle, shoot it first. Buy three or four brands of ammo and shoot it first. See if it groups well, and if it does and the trigger pull is good, let him practice and get a good zero and go hunting. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I will say a bad trigger always sacrifices accuracy. So an inexpensive timney of rifle basix will address one issue.
As for accuracy needed to hunt elk, it was previously mentioned 8" groups at 300 will kill an elk. This is true to some extent. The problem is you are less accurate out in the field. Short of breath, nervous, less than perfect rest all contribute to wounding or missing animals. You should focus on MOA or better because of the confidence it inspires and it will drastically lower the probability of wounding an animal.
Consider ordering some custom ammunition before spending $$$$ on shelf junk.

I have to agree with the start short and work long. Confidence is a wonderful thing. I think there is a lot to be said for, If it works between the ears it will work in the field.

Silly questions: Have you shot it? Have you measured the trigger pull? If the trigger is not gritty or doesn't have lots of creep, and is between 3.5 and 4.5 lbs of pull, I wouldn't change it. You don't want too light a trigger on a rifle you're going to carry in the field. Its too easy to fire it by accident if the trigger is very light. If you get a 1.5 inch group at 100 yards with at least two brands of ammunition, fire it at 200 yards and check groups. If they are inside 3 inches, go hunting. And do try some of the more economical ammunition. I've had Remington CorLokt 180 grain PSP go inside an inch in both of my -06's. They don't shoot as flat at long range, but inside 550 yards, they shoot within an inch or two of drop when compared to Sierra Gameking 180's and mushroom without failing. They'll work on elk just fine, and at 8,000 ft and above, the bullet's trajectory is greatly improved. I used to buy them as components when they were cheaper, and reload them in all my .30 cals.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts