seniors with shaking hands

rear stock shooting monopod make sure it's fully adjustable that will stop the back of the stock from moving
Hmm I didnt know this was a thing. Is there a brand name I can search for?
I'm starting to get a little of my dad's tremors and it's getting harder to hold still while sitting/ kneeling with a bipod. Especially if i want to shoot long range in brush.

I just went through the same challenge. A tripod (like the bog pod) is slow to set up and likely marginally accurate past 200 yds for your dad. I agree with others that the best bet would be a ground blind set up and a heavier, more stable shooting platform. It might be more productive to invest the time scouting to locate the best blind locations and then commit to patiently waiting for your opportunity. I ended up shooting off a bipod (much more stable than the tripod) since vegetation was not a factor, but probably not an option in your case.

I just went through the same challenge. A tripod (like the bog pod) is slow to set up and likely marginally accurate past 200 yds for your dad. I agree with others that the best bet would be a ground blind set up and a heavier, more stable shooting platform. It might be more productive to invest the time scouting to locate the best blind locations and then commit to patiently waiting for your opportunity. I ended up shooting off a bipod (much more stable than the tripod) since vegetation was not a factor, but probably not an option in your case.
Sitting down , and setting up from there is going too be your best bet , whether it's a bipod or tripod . Prone is for the young guys . You can work that out at the range and practice with different set ups until you find a comfortable one ,that can build his and your confidence. Good Luck hope it all works out .My hat is off too you boys for doing what your doing for your Dad.

I too have an Essential Tremor. I am also a RN of 38 years who happens to like long range hunting. So first off check out medication for the tremor. Mine was so bad patients would get a look of terror when I came at them with my IV equipment. Using a flat screwdriver was frustrating. I started medication and it helped immensely for about 2 years recently it has started breaking through the medication especially when I am tired or stressed (I run an ER so that's pretty often) so we added another medication and my staff can tell a big difference.
I won't list the names because there are several medications for tremors and your father and his doctor should choose together based on his individual condition.
As for shooting prone is out me. My neck is fused. I find if I can rest my elbow on somethingit really helps. I like a bipod and rear bag but that may not be an opption for your hunt. BogPod Death Grip is a good tool and they make a chair that is pricy but a very stable platform. Not sure about regs but the hood, hard bed cover or tailgate of a truck are solid platforms to shoot from.

Last edited:
My Nero didn't mention meds for Essential Tremor when I was diagnosed ~20 years ago. He did tell me that caffeine will make it worse. I'd already unintentionally proven that, hard to TIG weld after a lunch that included a Mtn. Dew. He also told me that ONE alcoholic drink will make it better, but that more than one will make it worse. Since I can not drink alcohol that's moot.

On the Emergency Comms topic, I went with the InReach SE+ I'm not hiking any great distance with it or I'd have likely gone with the Mini. I started out with the month to month subscription and would turn it off when not in use. Then I had an unplanned trip pop up and I forgot to turn it on before leaving. Now I'm on the yearly subscription, one less thing to have to remember. It comes with a nice navigation app that I have on the iPad that I bought specifically to use for navigation and ballistics. I've also purchased enough of the docking/recharging stations to fit one to each vehicle we're likely to take on any trip.

My dad is in his 80s and his hands shake so much that he's having trouble hitting deer passed 100 yards. My oldest brother and I are buying Wyoming antelope points for us and (secretly) him. He's tough and active, so we think he'll be able to walk the terrain that antelope live in. We plan to take him in about two years. I'm going to be hauling our tent and gear (including an inflatable bed for him) on a cart so he's not going to be carrying any weight other than his clothes and his favorite canteen. My concern is that he can't shoot far enough because of his hands shaking.
Any advice for a way to keep a rifle stable when you have shaky hands? I'll happily carry a shooting tripod if that would work. I have over a year to figure something out, but I hear it's common to shoot antelope over 200 yards away.

Thanks for any help
A friend of mine has essential tremor and they're treating it with meds it's really helpful

My dad is in his 80s and his hands shake so much that he's having trouble hitting deer passed 100 yards. My oldest brother and I are buying Wyoming antelope points for us and (secretly) him. He's tough and active, so we think he'll be able to walk the terrain that antelope live in. We plan to take him in about two years. I'm going to be hauling our tent and gear (including an inflatable bed for him) on a cart so he's not going to be carrying any weight other than his clothes and his favorite canteen. My concern is that he can't shoot far enough because of his hands shaking.
Any advice for a way to keep a rifle stable when you have shaky hands? I'll happily carry a shooting tripod if that would work. I have over a year to figure something out, but I hear it's common to shoot antelope over 200 yards away.

Thanks for any help
I am 70 with maybe same problem. If it is essential tremor which I have, I have been able to keep it under control with a low dose of propranalol. It has made a big difference for me with shooting and even the simplest things my hand writing and work, (I am an electrician and still working).

A proper tripod with either ARCA or Spartan pin will be a huge help if used correctly. Hang a fairly heavy pack from the center apex and practice loading the tripod while shooting. It will be as steady as a bench. The direct connection to his rifle is MUCH better than a clamp and kills recoil just like a heavy rifle. I can post a few examples of what to get if interested. RRS is the best but other imports work almost as well and are a fraction of the cost.

Go to post #1301 for a shopping list. Matagorda308 is me. Old login.

This might be his best prospect if you can come up with an arca rail under his rifle forearm.
Imported carbon fiber tripod with a arca compatible locking head on top. It takes some practice learning to get the most benefit out of it. You can adjust/spread the legs to go from prone to standing. This is probably your lightest weight option for this degree of stability.
Feel free to message me if i can help with questions on this option. I too am working to help keep some of our seniors out hunting and shooting as long as they desire to participate. Not that far out from senior myself. Hopefully stacking up some good karma lol.

What jpndave said ^^^
I also sometimes use a Kopfjager Reaper Grip clamping type head for rifles that don't have an arca rail.
This all adds up cost wise pretty quick but if it keeps him in the field another couple of years it is worth it.
Lots of posts and videos of tripod techniques to get the most out of the setup.
Hope this helps.

If you think tripods might be an option, maybe post on Snipershide or other PRS heavy forums and find a shooter using one in your area that will let y'all drive over and dry fire one to see if it is compatible with his tremors before you lay out the money.
However, a complete setup will sell pretty quickly and close to 100% return on your money if it doesn't work.