Segregating .338 SMKs 300gr What priorities?

[ QUOTE ]
I,am not trying to start an arguement, but a lot of my benchrest friends make their own bullets,just to make sure they are the same!"

True statement. That is why we use them!

"I also think it would be nearly imposible to point up a bullet without a core?"

Bullet making machines do it all the time. I cannot count the number of uncored jackets that I have gotten in boxes of bullets over the years.

A lot of the same guys are now sorry they started to make their own,because the equipment is so expensive. They also tell me they don,t weigh evert charge either,when I tell them I weigh them all they lauth at me. These guys tell me ,and some of them are in the benchrest hall of fame,It is more important to get your shots down range ,before the conditions change. I also agree after shooting 10 years at 1000 yd. benchrest club in Pa..

[/ QUOTE ]"

100/200 yards and 1078 yards are two totally different animals with different requirements. We don't measure our short range charges because they are such short ranges that the scorer makes more error in the scoring process than you will notice from a tenth grain powder error.

I did conduct some experiments with faulted loads versus loads that were as good as I could make them and it was significant difference.

With faulted rounds, I could not get them to touch at 800 yards and with the well constructed ones touching at 800 yards was a metric I use for determining if the pilot has made an error or if it is a good hold when the fire control system is activated.

If any of you guys would like to come down here and get warm and also demonstrate your techniques and ideas where I am wasting my time with my procedures and processes, we can shoot on my private 978 yard range out of my shooting house and really see the differences under the same conditions.

Who knows, I might even win enough to cover this years hunting fees. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

James

[ QUOTE ]
I personally don't measure and segregate custom bullets because they are generally made on the same dies and the bullet maker can feel and see what is going on...

[/ QUOTE ]

Cauterucio makes an awesome custom bullet, but they are not any more consistent then sierra.

I would like to hear from guys who got bullets without a core? I have been reloading for 40+ years and haven,t got 1 yet! Must be lucky! I also was tryint to help Peacock, by telling him he is wasting his time. Of course it is his time ,if he wants to waste.I would recomend shooting in different Conditions,because weather you are target shooting or hunting,this is the main thing, in hitting your target. As far as the 978 yd range? why 978, You might loose it when we come down there /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I personally don't measure and segregate custom bullets because they are generally made on the same dies and the bullet maker can feel and see what is going on...

[/ QUOTE ]

Cauterucio makes an awesome custom bullet, but they are not any more consistent then sierra.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have to respectfully disagree having used both in 7mm. Bob's bullets are noticeably more consistent in terms of performance. They are not as shiny as SMK's or Berger's, but they are very highly consistent on the paper. He sorts and packs them after sorting, so its just open the pack and load. They are ready to go. fwiw - the 7mm 160 Accubonds are very consistent and there is no need to sort. On the other hand, 7mm 162 Amaxes showed .008" variation in bearing surface length and do benefit from sorting.

Jeffbird, I was not talking about "on the paper" consistency. In fact sierra are accurate on paper as well. That's my point. The bench rest guys who practice these techniques are trying to shrink 1000 yard groups on paper in a similar fashion as skiiers who try to shave 100's of a second off their time. Hunting is a whole different animal (pun intended). Again, I'd like to point out that most of us gain nothing noticeable from all this extra work.

Practice Practice Practice!

[ QUOTE ]
I would like to hear from guys who got bullets without a core? I have been reloading for 40+ years and haven,t got 1 yet! Must be lucky! I also was tryint to help Peacock, by telling him he is wasting his time. Of course it is his time ,if he wants to waste.I would recomend shooting in different Conditions,because weather you are target shooting or hunting,this is the main thing, in hitting your target. As far as the 978 yd range? why 978, You might loose it when we come down there /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

978 is the distance between the shooting house and the ditch at 978 yards. Hence a 978 yard range. I seriously doubt that I would loose shooting against ammo that have components randomly selected from an unsorted box. Anyway, I welcome all comers.

James

[ QUOTE ]
Roll-Yur-Own: "Again, I'd like to point out that most of us gain nothing noticeable from all this extra work."

[/ QUOTE ]

Therefore, SOME of us WILL gain from this extra bit of preparation.

Don

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.