Seating depth

hammer111

It's seems the more I reload, the more questions I have.
If you seat a bullet deep, you have more energy. Do you get more velocities, than shallow seating.

All else being the same, then yes you'll get more velocity due to higher pressure.

Another "rule of thumb" is if you can seat a bullet out longer and add a little more powder you can get a little more velocity with the same peak pressure.

Welcome to the rabbit-hole that is reloading. It's internal ballistics; if everything else is the same, seating the bullet deeper will result in less case volume which will in turn increase pressure and velocity. Likewise as ShtrRdy said, seating the bullet longer will get have less bullet taking up case volume.

Seating a bullet deeper in the case does increase pressure but it doesnt mean more velocity. Case in point is the saami reamer for the 30 Nosler will not reach 3100 were the .200-.225 freebore reamer seating the bullet farther out will.

In my opinion no, not from a pure velocity stand point.
That's also why you see some bullets with shorter bearing surface shoot faster than another that is the same weight.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.