seating depth question

Bigeclipse

I am in the process of testing sierra game kings 180 for my 3006. My remington 700 has an extremely long throat which is causing issues with loading lengths. Honestly for this bullet to touch the lands would mean it would just be resting on top of the case because it has such a long boatail. Someone once told me you should have about 1 calibers worth of contact surface on the side of the bullet with the neck of the case. Well If i was going to do that I would have to be .100 off the lands. .040 off the lands gives me like .15 of an inch of seating from where the bullet makes contact with the case neck which is only half a caliber. What would the danger be here loading the bullet so far up in the case? Thanks

That bullet doesn't mind being jumped, I would load to sierra's coal and see what you got. Seating way out leaves you open to runout if they get bumped or dropped etc. Heck even chambering one could move the bullet in the neck. They are very forgiving bullets with there tangent design..

That bullet doesn't mind being jumped, I would load to sierra's coal and see what you got. Seating way out leaves you open to runout if they get bumped or dropped etc. Heck even chambering one could move the bullet in the neck. They are very forgiving bullets with there tangent design..

AI don't have a sierra manual so I don't know sierr tested coal

I just went to my reloading room to check and I don't have a coal for the game king, but they call for 3.305 for the match king and they are the same profile with the smk being a hpbt and game king being spbt.

Just checked my hodgdon manual and it list it at 3.30 and the 4350's (I and H) give good velocity for that bullet along with superformance.

I just went to my reloading room to check and I don't have a coal for the game king, but they call for 3.305 for the match king and they are the same profile with the smk being a hpbt and game king being spbt.

Just checked my hodgdon manual and it list it at 3.30 and the 4350's (I and H) give good velocity for that bullet along with superformance.

Thanks guys!

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.