Seating Depth Question 180 gr. vs. 200 gr Accubond

300winnie

I have a load worked up for my .300 Winchester Magnum utilizing the 200 grain version of the Nosler Accubond. It shoots right at m.o.a as an average. Since I consider myself a moderate junky, I can't leave well enough alone in search of the perfect load /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Anyway, throughout the course of this year I have been trying to get the new Scirocco II bullets in the 180 grain guise to fly true...no luck here /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

I was at the gun store last night and on a whim I picked up a box of 180 grain Nosler Accubonds to try.

My question is this:

Using my Stoney Point Comparator, should I seat the 180 grainers to the same comparator length as the 200's for a starting point (Should this be the same amount of distance from the lands with both bullets)?

300winnie,
my owen preference is to just use my OAL Gauge
10hit1y.jpg

from Stoney Point, that way I know what I'm getting.

I'd seat them so the bearing surface is the same distance from the lands. After getting a good charge worked out you could play with the seating depth if you're really into experimenting for improvement.

What you should do is measure the throat using the OAL gauge w/ bullet comparator and a bullet from the new box of 180's. Then seat your bullets to the desired depth.

Ojives often vary from bullet to bullet within the same style and manufacturer. I have also noticed that new bullets don't always have the same ojive as older bullets that have the exact same weight, shape and item number.

Things change - I'd check the new bullets first so that you can be sure of what you are actually getting.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.