Seating Depth Question 180 gr. vs. 200 gr Accubond

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by 300winnie, May 23, 2006.

1. 300winnie

300winnie Well-Known Member

I have a load worked up for my .300 Winchester Magnum utilizing the 200 grain version of the Nosler Accubond. It shoots right at m.o.a as an average. Since I consider myself a moderate junky, I can't leave well enough alone in search of the perfect load /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Anyway, throughout the course of this year I have been trying to get the new Scirocco II bullets in the 180 grain guise to fly true...no luck here /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

I was at the gun store last night and on a whim I picked up a box of 180 grain Nosler Accubonds to try.

My question is this:

Using my Stoney Point Comparator, should I seat the 180 grainers to the same comparator length as the 200's for a starting point (Should this be the same amount of distance from the lands with both bullets)?

2. Eaglet

Eaglet Well-Known Member

300winnie,
    my owen preference is to just use my OAL Gauge
    [​IMG]
    from Stoney Point, that way I know what I'm getting.

3. ATH

ATH Well-Known Member

I'd seat them so the bearing surface is the same distance from the lands. After getting a good charge worked out you could play with the seating depth if you're really into experimenting for improvement.

4. Varmint Hunter

Varmint Hunter Well-Known Member

What you should do is measure the throat using the OAL gauge w/ bullet comparator and a bullet from the new box of 180's. Then seat your bullets to the desired depth.

Ojives often vary from bullet to bullet within the same style and manufacturer. I have also noticed that new bullets don't always have the same ojive as older bullets that have the exact same weight, shape and item number.

Things change - I'd check the new bullets first so that you can be sure of what you are actually getting.