Searching for bullet

whitetail

Hello,
I'm looking for a bullet for LRH purposes in caliber .338LM. The bullet should fulfill all following criteria:
1. minimum weight 250grain
2. expands in impact (due to legislation in my homecountry)
3. boat tail
4. hard tip (HP or plastic tip, no deformation in magazine)
5. minimun BC 0.6
6. non-solid (conventional) structure is preferred

The only bullet I can find from the net that matches almost all these is LRB's J36, but it is far too expensive for me to start testing...
All ideas are wellcome.

(Sorry for my english, I'm not a native speaker as you can tell..)

I can say one thing, DO NOT USE THE LRB bullets unless you want to waste a lot of money for so called accurate bullets.
I have only received comments from than 3 people that have managed to get them to perform, many more people have gone the route I have and come to the conclusion that they simply dont work, not to say that they wont work but the formula for success is a single combination. This will require you to waste a lot of money finding that one combination.
As far as your countries reglated bullet selection well youll not get what match kings or any other custom high bc bullet offers with the limiting factors you have mentioned.
You have to choose from
Nolsers 225 gr with a BC of .540
Sierra BT 250 gr BC .565 @ 2500 fps and faster
Hornady's 225 gr interbond BC .430
Richard Graves from what I understand and have been told is going to be offering a high bc 338 bullet here in the future that will be no doubt the bullet to get provided your country will allow them for hunting.

The Sierra match king 300 grains is good. It has a BC of .768.
The Lostriver bullets are solid lathe turned bullets, they don't meet your final criteria (and probably your accuracy criteria as well).

I have witnissed several 300gr SMK's recovered from elk and they expanded. The only bullet that I know of that fits your criteria is the 300gr Match King. It WILL give very good terminal ballistics.

Whitetail,

The 300 gr SMK is probably the easiest to get. The 300 gr Wildcat ULD RBBT is a better game bullet in my opinion and has been producing BCs in the .810-.820 range compared to what I am getting with the SMK which is in the .790-.800 range over 1000 yards in my 338 Kahn.

The Wildcat is built on a heavier jacket so it will hold up much better at moderate ranges. At long ranges, expansion will be slighly less then the SMK.

Richard also offers custom 338 bullets in 275 gr, 300 gr, 325 gr and 350 gr ULD RBBTs.

In his heavy Bonded Core bullets he offers 275, 300 and 350 gr FB bullets with either a #6 ogive or a ULD ogive.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

I'm guessing here but I bet in Finland that match king style bullets that arent designed for hunting although have been proven time and time again here to work will not be authorized.
He needs to find out if the SMK are authorized and hes in like flynn.

Hello again..
..and thanks for you all for your opinions. I have tried the 300gr SMK, and its ok up to 600 metres, but after that it loses stability (twist 12"). For my rifle, SAKO TRG-42, the best performer in plane accuracy point of view has so far been 250grain Lapua Lock Base (0,7MOA up to 1000 metres). The problem is that none of the "hunting" bullets do not even come close to that. In my opinion the animal doesn't know what hit him, the main goal is to hit him accurately on the most vital zones, whatever the bullet, but unfortunately the people who make those decisions here don't agree with me.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.