scopes in the cold

dragman

was out shooting in -30 windchill yesterday. other than mirage I didn't have any other issures with my good scopes, but man some of my "lesser" ones struggled to say the least.
I almost never shoot in that kind of weather so is this common??

I usually use b&l/ bushy Elite or Nikon and shoot to -20 or so here and never had an issue. Sometimes the adjustments get a bit tight, but I don't crank on stuff when it's cold anyway...

I have a cheaper Bushnell it got kinda foggy and an old red field that did same. Better scopes were all fine. Just curious everyone else has experienced.

On the past weekend I and a mate were on the field to zero my new NF scope. The temperature was about -10 degree C. My NF worked perfect but the mate's vortex pst 4-16 did not. Turret adjustments functioned incorrectly. The same situations were on his past huntings in cold where he missed twice. In warm wether it works good. Possibly this is just this scope's issue.

I did have to zero one of my NF's I got new rings for my ATACR and I set the zero while I was out there and had no problems at all.

I was hunting in SD last week in -5 to-27 and my ziess conquest hd5 power would not adjust other then that it worked fine took 3 does at 340yds 350yds and 556 yds the longest kill I have to date.
I called Zeiss and they said to send out back its not supposed to be like that

Duane

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.