Scope rail bedding

It's not an either or proposition. If there's a big gap I've to do both.

Lapping damages the receiver's finish and is extremely time consuming compared to bedding alone.

I always do mine and then finish receiver. I have done both to some and never really seen a difference, of course this is an issue that is about peace of mind and durability also so I would say both would be best also.

I always do mine and then finish receiver. I have done both to some and never really seen a difference, of course this is an issue that is about peace of mind and durability also so I would say both would be best also.
Most people are starting with a factory rifle that's already been finished.

I've just been around long enough to see more than one big, heavy scope on a heavy recoiling rifle snap off due to the shearing forces when fired and seen too many scope mounts of every type that don't fit absolutely perfectly.

If I were starting from scratch with a custom I'd not only bed it, I'd pin it and make sure to use 8x40 screws as well if I were going to top it with a high dollar heavy scope.

I once saw a guy on his first range outing with a custom rifle topped with an extremely expensive scope cry when it snapped off on about his third shot.

The gunsmith at the shop next door told him it was due to improperly fitted mounts.

Thanks for the replies and links! Going to give that a whirl for sure.

I'll be using Devcon though

Are y'all referring to lapping rings or removing material from the top of the receiver to square it up? Btw, I always bed my bases too...

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.