Scope options for coyote hunting under 300m (327 yards)?

joe.sixfive

Hey fellow predator hunters, I need your advice. I've been shooting for 20+ years, experience gathered mostly through my military career. Having recently retired, I have decided to take up predator hunting full time. The longest distance at which I hunt is 300m (327 yards) and I need some good scope suggestions to ad to my hunting rifle: it has to be light as this is a "light and quick" build (rifle is a Christensen Arms Ridgeline with carbon fibre barrel) so extended long range scopes with large front lenses are not to be considered (Already have a few and they are heavy for a "light and quick" build).

I would prefer MRAD and a "Xmas tree" reticle than a regular hunting reticle. I've spotted the Bushnell Nitro scopes, either the 2.5-10x44 or 3-12x44 as they both come with "Xmas tree" reticles for fast hold overs and available in MRADs.

Your opinions and suggestions are welcome. If you need more info about my requirements or have constructive criticism, have at it. Thanks!

Last edited:
What cartridge is your rifle chambered in?

If you're only shooting to 327 yards you might not need much of a Christmas tree reticle depending on what round you're shooting.

Find yourself a 1-4x or 1-6x or a fixed 3x or 4x. US Optics MR-10 or SVS 1-6x would be my go-to but I have a thing for USO's. There is no shortage of options in that sort of optic. USO offers their SVS reticle for the SVS 1-6x which is perfect for what you're doing. It has 1,2,4,6mil elevation lines (you'll probably only need up to 2mils) with built in width for wind hold offs for 3, 5 & 10mph wind but it's not as busy as a full tree style reticle. The ruggedness of USO's is pretty legendary as is the optical quality. Price on this specific scope is pretty affordable considering the normal price point for USO's starts at double what they get for the 1-6x.

https://www.usoptics.com/product/svs-1-6x/ scope
https://www.usoptics.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/12/SVS-1-6X.jpg reticle

There are many others, many cheaper, some more expensive. All I can say on that is, if you have some idea of what you want/can spend on it we can get more options listed.

What cartridge is your rifle chambered in?

If you're only shooting to 327 yards you might not need much of a Christmas tree reticle depending on what round you're shooting.

I am shooting 6.5 Crdmr, 143 ELD-X, hand loaded. At 2650 fps muzzle velocity.

Find yourself a 1-4x or 1-6x or a fixed 3x or 4x. US Optics MR-10 or SVS 1-6x would be my go-to but I have a thing for USO's. There is no shortage of options in that sort of optic. USO offers their SVS reticle for the SVS 1-6x which is perfect for what you're doing. It has 1,2,4,6mil elevation lines (you'll probably only need up to 2mils) with built in width for wind hold offs for 3, 5 & 10mph wind but it's not as busy as a full tree style reticle. The ruggedness of USO's is pretty legendary as is the optical quality. Price on this specific scope is pretty affordable considering the normal price point for USO's starts at double what they get for the 1-6x.

https://www.usoptics.com/product/svs-1-6x/ scope
https://www.usoptics.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/12/SVS-1-6X.jpg reticle

There are many others, many cheaper, some more expensive. All I can say on that is, if you have some idea of what you want/can spend on it we can get more options listed.

Good idea! 1-4, 1-6 or 1-8 is indeed pretty good options.

I have a 1-6 vortex strike eagle on my AR15. It's nice and Plenty of scope out to 300 yards and is good at 1x for those close shots when dogs totally commit to the call.

I use a 1-4X Hawke. 4 doesn't sound like much but the reticle is such that I can shoot 1/2" groups with it at 100 yards. Hasn't handicapped me out to 250. Haven't needed to shoot beyond that. Leave it on 1X in cover and turn it to 2 or 3 for most other stuff. Shoot both eyes open, thread the needle on the 200 yard stuff. Out to 300 yards you don't need a Horus reticle.

So, doing a little more looking around and it appears that the Burris XTR II 1-5x is about the best deal going as far as quality/durability/price matrix goes. It's half the cost of the USO option and except for the most discerning optical appetite should slake your thirst for lightweight glass for close range.

I use a 1-4X Hawke. 4 doesn't sound like much but the reticle is such that I can shoot 1/2" groups with it at 100 yards. Hasn't handicapped me out to 250. Haven't needed to shoot beyond that. Leave it on 1X in cover and turn it to 2 or 3 for most other stuff. Shoot both eyes open, thread the needle on the 200 yard stuff. Out to 300 yards you don't need a Horus reticle.

The majority of shots taken are between 100m and 200m (109y-218y) so a 1-4x sounds about right. thx

So, doing a little more looking around and it appears that the Burris XTR II 1-5x is about the best deal going as far as quality/durability/price matrix goes. It's half the cost of the USO option and except for the most discerning optical appetite should slake your thirst for lightweight glass for close range.

Thx man, i'll check that out for sure

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.