Scope on Savage FCP 338 LM

hoverp

Hey guys I just bought my new 110 FCP 338 LM. I want to put a leupold 6.5-20 x56 VX3 scope on it. I want to mount the scope as LOW to the bore as possible . The gun comes stock with a 20 moa Pic. rail.

If I went with LOW rings for this rail( suggestions on good rings ) do you think I would need to buy the VX3 "L" scope with the notch cut out on the objective to get the lowest possible fit...or does the moa rail and low rings still not drop down the 56 mmm bell low enough to hit the barrel.

I did the math on the scope and I need 15-16mm from the base of the ring(where the scope tube sets) to the top of the barrel. 13 is touching the bell to the barrel so i figured 15-16 for cush.

So does the 20 moa rail plus LOW rings just fit a 56 bell or would I need to buy the "L" model.

thanks

Patrick

I'm pretty sure you will need at least the medium rings. I have a set of low rings with a 44mm. 50 would be cutting it close.

Tank

Tank, do you mean Medium rings and get the 56mm VX3"L" ? or medium rings with the standard 56mm standard VX3?

Thanks Tank.

I have the HS Precision model of the Savage .338 Lapua. I have a Nightforce NXS 5.5-22x56 with Nightforce Ultra Light Low rings, 0 MOA base and I have about a 1/4" still. I read where someone had a 20 MOA base on and it still fit. That said, the Leupold with the cutout on the bell might get you lower with ultra low rings if they make such a thing. My eye alighnment is perfect on mine, I do not need a stock pad or adjustable stock to get me eye lined up with the scope.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.