Scope Mounting Height

desertbull

The bottom of my scope bell is appx 1/2" above the barrel. If I lower or raise the scope with new rings, will I be able to gain any elevation adjustment or does the base have to be canted?

In order to zero my scope at 200 yards, I had to use up a lot of my MOA adjustment and only have 11 MOA left.

Lowering the rings will not change how much adjustment is left in the scope. They only way to get more elevation would be to change the base. The advantage of lowering the scope via shorter rings would be the cheek weld.

The bottom of my scope bell is appx 1/2" above the barrel. If I lower or raise the scope with new rings, will I be able to gain any elevation adjustment or does the base have to be canted?

In order to zero my scope at 200 yards, I had to use up a lot of my MOA adjustment and only have 11 MOA left.

Sumptin aint right!!! A little more info would help

Vortex Viper Scope (30MM)
Remington 700
7mm Rem Mag
162 grain SST at 3150 fps
Zero = 200 yards
Picatinny rail - bedded to action
Warne medium rings

Scope tracks fine. Always returns to zero. I basically have 1 full turn on the turret before running out of adjustment.

Sounds like your receiver tolerances were off at the factory (not uncommon for 700 actions, I hear), giving you a 10+ moa cant upward with a standard base. I recommend you switch to a 30 moa cant base, or bed the rings with a 30 moa cant by adding a small spacer to the rear mount when you bed the rings.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.