scope magnification ranges

brodiemn27

Howdy, about to start a build on a 300WSM - intended use is long range big game hunting. I am strongly considering the Vortex razor hd gen 1 5-20x50 scope, but I'm curious of what y'all think regarding magnification ranges. I would like to drop game between 500-1000 yards comfortably, but still have a lower end for the thick stuff, which is why I am questioning the 5x low end on this scope.

Bushnell's 3.5-21x50 is a good option in the same price range, but I really like Vortex products and their warranty is unbeatable.

I am relatively new to long range hunting, and this is going to be my first true long range rifle. I want to have optics that give me the ability to really reach out, but would still like to be comfortable on the lower end just for the sake of versatility...

What do y'all think?

Thanks

I use a 5-25X in the woods or in the sage. Never felt handicapped. If you practice on a higher setting like 10X or 12X then hunt on 5X it looks like wide screen tV.

So for shooting out to 1000 yards, 18x will do the job? Partly I like Vortex and their first gen razor is on sale so that is very tempting.
I would love to get the leupold mark 6, but they are quite pricy. I am looking in the 1500ish price range. Also, with such a big caliber I doubt I will do much shooting under 200 so 5x may be just fine. Anyways, new to this so a lot of unknowns having so little experience.

So for shooting out to 1000 yards, 18x will do the job?

Read the parameters wrong, just saw 500 yards. 18x or 12x will work at 1000, but the bigger scopes offer a little more detail. Then I like 20-25X on the high end.

There is the Mark 6, but the VX6 is what I was talking about. It's cheaper and in the price range indicated. Custom BDC available for elevation and windage.

They all give up something!

Gotcha. I've asked about FFP vs SFP over on reddit, where much of the audience are competitive tactical shooters rather than hunters, and I always hear FFP preference. For hunting purposes is it worth FFP, or overkill?

This has been hotly debated here. A search at the top of the page will get you everything on the subject.

I think for hunting especially long range hunting, SFP is where you want to be. I'm not a tactical shooter, but that's the folks that feel strongest about FFP.

Coyote calling, I think might be the one place FFP would interest me. The possibility of multiple targets , at multiple ranges. Couple it with a Velocity Reticle or similar.

Some great optics out there either way.

Nor am I a tactical shooter, I do have a viper pst FFP on my ar10 for that exact reason, hogs and coyotes.. sounds like the vs6 3-18 is a good fit.. thanks for the help!

I play musical scopes on my rifles quite often it seems. My current setups are a 3.5-15X50 on a .308, a 3-12X50 on a 7mm Rem and a 4-30x50 on a 338/378. All are capable as 1,000 target guns.

At one point I had the 3.5-15X50 on the 338/378 and the 4-30X50 on the .308 with a 3-9x36 on my 7 mag. Never took that 9 power scope to 1,000, but the other two were still easy 1k competitors.

A 4x ACOG serves my well on a 5.56 AR-15 for 500 yard shots. (non-hunting)

I know that's a lot of random info, just more for you to chew on.

Im probably in the minority here. I use my long range guns for big game hunting and have never felt handicapped by a scope with 12-14x on the top end. Surely no more then 16x. I find any more and I get a lot of mirage and bottom line there just not needed. If a deer is to small to see in a 16x scope its to far for me.

Here in Utah we are limited to 1x scopes on muzzleloader hunts. I have used my experience with those to help decide what magnification to go with on a long range rifle. For example, at 100 yards with a 1x scope I can see a deer very well, but the detail at the target range is not very good. My groups open up a bit because I can't see clearly enough to get a precise sight picture. This would be equivalent to a 10x scope at 1000 yards - plenty of magnification for hunting but definitely lacking for pinpoint target shooting. My opinion is that for a hunting rifle you're best off in the 4-16 range, give or take a few. 6-24 would be better for target shooting at long range but you'd surely be giving up the ability to hunt the trees and brush very effectively. Some of the new 6x zoom scopes allow greater flexibility in exchange for more cash.

I find that 16X on the high end is sufficient for 1,000 yds. I'm far-sighted, and my shooting eye has no astigmatism. Someone with vision problems may need to go higher than 16X.

The drawbacks to high magnification are low field of view and low contrast. I always try to see the impact. Very often the rifle does not settle back onto the target after recoil when using ad hoc rests in the field (like a backpack). I find that keeping the magnification at or below 16X gives me a better chance of seeing the impact.

Glare increases at high magnification, which reduces image contrast. On many scopes, glare becomes noticeable above 20X. Uniform glare reduces image contrast, which makes subtle target details more difficult to see. When looking toward a setting or rising sun, the glare at high magnification can be high enough to obscure the target image. Keeping magnification below 20X improves the image contrast.

I use a Bushnell 3.5-21X for long range ballistics work and never set it above 15X when taking shots at 900-1200 yds. Having more magnification is handy at the range when milling misses.

When hunting, however, I almost never go above 16X. One of my favorite hunting scopes is a Swarovski Z5 3.5-18x44. The BRH reticle has mrad holdoffs at 18X. It has IPHY holdoffs at 16X. Usually, I either set it to 9X or 18X (when holding off in mrad at the range), or 8X or 16X (when holding off in IPHY when hunting). I also use 4.5-15X scopes for long range shooting, and 15X works very well at ranges up to 1,000 yds.

I use 6-24x50mm Sightron SIIIs. Have three of them. If it weren't for the ever present bears where I hunt, and the possibility that my life could depend on targeting one in my face, I'd be OK with the 6 power minimum. I continue to use them. 24x is nice while testing loads for accuracy, target practice, and for determining the length of horn curl on dall rams at distance. The cooler temperatures experienced in Alaska rarely cause heat wave / mirage, so I'm able to take full advantage of the 24x while targeting game at longer ranges.

I've been hoping for a 4-16x Sightron SIII for many years now, but so far they haven't marketed one in their SIII line of scopes. I'd prefer 4x as the lowest power, and could be content with 16x as a maximum power.

Why am I hung up on Sightron SIIIs? I backpack hunt, and their SIII line of scopes are lighter than many competitors. The glass is a wonderful match for my eyes, and most others that own them. I know there are other brands available, but they often cost twice the money, and weigh an extra 6 oz or more. I'd pay the extra money, but I won't carry the extra weight.

I've hunted with 3-18x IORs in the past also. The 3x is pretty nice for the up close shots, but they weighed so much that my backpacking rifles became top heavy and awkward.

If close range is just as important as long range, I would keep the low power no greater than 4x for dangerous animals. 6x is OK for me when the targeted animals won't attack.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts