scope height v.s. zero

mcharger440

ok guys i may be in the wrong area as i couldnt figure out where to classify this question, i have a 338 rum i am pushing a 300gr berger 2800fps (its throughted and streched out to col 4.088 any ways wrong part of the story) i put a 20moa base on it because i like to shoot a mile plus. i had tall scope rings on it just because i had them my zero was 450 yards at the bottom of my scope range but i got my burris zee rings in and they are a strong 3/8 shorter if my thinking is correct then my zero will be a chunk closer am i way off base or is this accurite thanks for your help

so if my cipherin is right changing scope height from 1.7 to 1.3 would take me (in perfect conditions) from a 450 yard zero to a 325 yard zero .... Input??

You can guess all you want, but the best thing to do is go shoot it. If you are like me, I wouldn't ever take it out hunting or shooting without confirming my zero first anyway.

absolutely I just live along way from my range and haven't been able to go and between range time my ADD kicks into overdrive so really I am just curious now if my thinking is correct

The actual height has less to do with zero. than the slope of the base 0 moa vrs 20 moa less moa is usual closer to 100 zero,but wont get the range out of scope

I have an answer... 300yard zero...lowering my scope height by .272" took my scopes lowest range from 450 to 300yards and that's all I changed

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.