Scope for CZ 527 Varmint

Discussion in 'Varmint Hunting' started by RC1, Feb 24, 2012.

1. RC1

RC1 Member

Looking at the above rifle in either 17 Remington or 204 Ruger. The action is a small action which appears to put the built in bases fairly close together. What scope would be a good match for the bases in order to have some forward or rear adjustment in the scope and also for the calibers listed. Don't want something like a 3-9 compact.

2. RC1

RC1 Member

Anyone? I know I saw a 527 on this site with 1 of the scope rings all the way against the turrets.

3. m98

m98 New Member

4. threejones

threejones Well-Known Member

I've got a Nikon Monarch 6x18x50 on mine and it's just right. If you want to move the scope for and aft, look at J&P Enterprises. They have a picitani rail adapter for the 527 that allows a good bit of adjustment. I saw another company that makes 527 aftermarket parts just the other day, I just can't remember the name. Try googling it.
    Cody

5. RC1

RC1 Member

Thanks to both of you for the help.

6. tt35

tt35 Well-Known Member

I have a new product coming that is made by Custom Reloading Tools. It is a replacement bolt handle with the Ergo(tactical style) bolt handle that is curved to clear the scope on the CZ's without having to mount your scope as high. I can send you the info on it when it coimes in if you're interested. It should provide a better cheekweld when not using a very large objective scope.

7. RC1

RC1 Member

I saw that on their site. I was also looking at the the 1 that James Calhoon sells. Do you have any idea what the difference might be?

8. tt35

tt35 Well-Known Member

I'm not sure how it compares to the Calhoun bolt but I can tell you that everything I've seen from CRT has been amazing in machining, finish and workmanship. This bolt will be right there. The knob is a tactical style although they make a more rounded standard knob as well that is a little less money. The Ergo is $90 and should be in stock shortly.

9. TRIMBLE

TRIMBLE New Member

I'm also looking at the cz 527 cal 17 hornet. Having the same thoughts. There are after market rails available for a longer platform. I'm leaning towards the new Burris veracity 20x.

10. yobuck

yobuck Well-Known Member

I bought the standard model 527 in a lefty 223 4 years ago. It was without a doubt the
    worst gun experience i ever had. I ended up over a period of about 4 months having
    3 different ones. That didnt count the second one i got the day following the sale.
    Bottom line was they wouldnt shoot under inch and a half at 100 yds with any load i tried. Even had the stock glass bedded. Each gun was sent back to K. C. and a few
    weeks later id get another gun after they test fired them. They finally returned my
    money minus the 6% sales tax id paid. A sales clerk at the gun shop i bought it
    claimed his varmit barrel model was an excellant shooter. I ended up buying a Savage which shoots very well but dosent have the good looks of the C Z.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2014
  11. digger11

digger11 Well-Known Member

I have a 527 in 222,it wears a Weaver KT15. Straight 15 power.It is becoming one of my favorite setups for evening jack rabbit patrols in the orchards I watch.

12. tuck2

tuck2 Well-Known Member

I have a Leupold 4-12 AO scope on my CZ 527 17 Hornet rifle. Using Hornady 20 grain bullet ammo I got sub 1/2 inch groups while shooting at 100 yards off a bench rest . Should I get an other varmint rifle it will be a CZ. For shooting prairie dogs I have a Leupold 6-18 AO scope on my 204 Ruger rifle..

13. GLShooter

GLShooter New Member

I have a pair of 527 Varmints in 204. I run Nikon Buckmaster SF scopes on them. Either the 4.5X16 or the 6X18. The bolt handle will clear the ocular without any alterations.

The rifles are a disappointment. Try as I might I could only get one load, besides the factory WW stuff, that would shot over an inch. Such a waste to leave all that unshot paper around the holes.

Greg

14. lewwetzel

lewwetzel Well-Known Member

The newer 527s imported here (allegedly) have a bolt handle that lets most ocular bells clear. I did the Calhoon thing and it worked great. If I get another 527, it'll be a .204 Varmint, with a 6-18x Leupold VX 2, which is fairly compact/light for the magnification; a 4-12 would be even more so. Should clear the turrets okay; www.diproductsinc.com sells a picatinny rail conversion if you think that clearance is a problem. CZs don't have bases per se, btw; they use 16mm "ringmounts" made also by Burris, Leupold, Millett, Warne, and Talley(?). Americans come with these "rings", but Varmints don't.