Scope for a 500yd 6.5/284?

Gota6.5

Hey everyone,

I was wondering if anyone could give me their opinion on what scope I should use on my new 6.5/284 for shooting deer and antelope sized game here in New Zealand.

I am planning on using it out to around 500yds, but also want to be able to use it at closer ranges too (as close as 50yds) My two choices at the moment are a 3.5-10 Mark 4, or a 4.5-14 Mark 4.

I think the 3.5-10 would be better choice for the versatility (as I only own the one rifle) but is 10x enough magnification for 500yds?

Thanks in advance

Gota6.5, 10x is plenty for 500 yards. Your pick of scope is a good choice. I think very good resolution trumps magnification to some extent.

Thanks,

I have been thinking about a 3.5-15 nightforce, but am a little concerned about the weight of it. We climb some pretty steep mountains here, and every oz of weight counts.

Yeah they are nice scopes, but I'm pretty certain that 6.5x will be too high a magnification for close work.

I'm trying tofind a balance between sufficient magnification for 500yds, and maintaining a reasonable FOV for close/snap shooting in the bush

I love the 3.5x10 ! I used to have one on a 300wm and I never felt like I didnt have enough glass. 10 power is plenty for 500 yards. US marines use 10 power out to 1000 yards so 15-25 power is not really needed IMHO. But to each his own. I am seriously considering building a 6.5 and I am almost certain I will be puting a 3.5X10 leupold on it for the same reasons you have. good luck!!

I think you dead on with eather of these 2 scopes. A 4x will give you a good enough point of aim to place the bullet at 500 yards on deer size game. For that reason I would be more conserned about the low end of the power range. I assume that if your like me you will be carring the scope set on the lowest power for those close fast shots. If you can handle them well with a 4.5X scope I would go with the 4.5 x 14 for that little extra edge on the long range. If your more comfortable with a 3.5X for fast shooting I would go with the 3.5 x 10. I have abot 30 Leupold scope at present and most of them are the old Vari X 3`s in 3 x 9. They have served me well for many years, but they lack just alittle when compaired to the new VarX 3`s. I would recomand that you get target knobs on it also. I have a 6.5 x 25 on a .22-6mm that I use for long range varmint hunting. At the range a while back I larzed a stone alittle smaller than a golf ball on the back stop of the 200 yrd. range. It lazered 212 yrds. I set my scope for 1/2 way between 200 and 225 yrds. When I touched the trigger the rock disapered. If you take time to work up a drop chart and carry it and a lazer your long range shoots will be easier. Then if you get a wind meter you`ll be as good as it gets.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts