Bullets for 6.5-284

IdahoJoe

My 6.5-284 will be her soon and I was wondering what bullets people recommend for this caliber. It will be used mostly for mule dear hunting in areas with some possible really long shots and some possible close up shots. I am a big fan of nosler bullets but the bergers have nice looking bcs. My question is how do they perform in smaller calibers like 6.5-284 25-06 etc.

I already know this entire forums answer!!! BERGER BERGER BERGER, you may get a couple of A-max answers, but they arent really intended on hunting. But you wait and see, BERGER BERGER BERGER... probably because they DO produce the best long range "hunting" bullets. Lapua, hornady, berger, and sierra make some good match ammo, but Berger is great if your looking for a mix of both.

But check out barnes too!

Last edited:
I already know this entire forums answer!!! BERGER BERGER BERGER, you may get a couple of A-max answers, but they arent really intended on hunting. But you wait and see, BERGER BERGER BERGER... probably because they DO produce the best long range "hunting" bullets. Lapua, hornady, berger, and sierra make some good match ammo, but Berger is great if your looking for a mix of both.

But check out barnes too!

Hey. I love Barnes!!! Everyone should try them. Just be sure to check your ballistics curve and make sure your expected impact velocity is around 1900 fps or greater for proper expansion.

While you're at it, check your ballistics table and compare bullets with different BCs at your longest expected shooting distance. The farther you go, the bigger role the wind plays and the more help you'll get from higher BCs.

So while Barnes is an excellent bullet, I prefer Berger for hunting out past 500 yds.

Your rifle may prefer another bullet such as Hornady, Sierra, or Norma. And, people are having success there too. But, a lot of people are having success with Berger. So, don't knock 'em.

Happy hunting!
-- richard

I hade mine throated for smk's and sst's. Smk's are good for .478 @ 100yds (5 shot group) sst's I'll give away! Berger seem to group better a extended range. 1.5@ 100 & >.5 moa @ 400yds. The smk's are .02 off the lands vld's are .005 off the lands both run at the 2900 fps range.

I hade mine throated for smk's and sst's. Smk's are good for .478 @ 100yds (5 shot group) sst's I'll give away! Berger seem to group better a extended range. 1.5@ 100 & >.5 moa @ 400yds. The smk's are .02 off the lands vld's are .005 off the lands both run at the 2900 fps range.
I don't know about using the 142 SMK's for hunting. Perhaps others can comment from experience?

The SMK's have a very high BC and many of us use them very successfully for punching paper at 1k+.

If you consistently get .5 MOA at 400 yds, you should be able to equal that at 100 yds.

-- richard

I am on the cusp of ordering one as well. Phase three if my .284 case quad-fecta....

I am intrigued with the Swift Scirocco II 130 grain with a stated BC of .571.

If the BC is real, what a nice blend of high BC and velocity.

My only reservation with the Bergers is feeding an animal to my kids that has lead fragments scattered throughout. Awesome bullets, just hesitant about the shard factor....

cornstalker,

Good point. There's no telling how much No. 9 shot I ate as a kid. My Dad hunted quail every day of the season. It's no wonder I can't remember the day of the week anymore. :)

-- Richard

i use 123 and 139 scenars for matches. the 120 balistic tip for hunting coyotes and coues. . i use my 7 or 300 for mule deer and elk. i have not used scenars for hunting. there is a guy ( scenarshooter) on 24hourcampfire that has shot and guided hunters to a lot of big deer and elk in montana. he uses scenars out of a 308 with some awesome results. the scirrocco and accubond would be good choices for your 6.5-284 and mule deers. i did not get as good accuracy with the berger as the scenar ; however, since i got less than .5 with the scenars i did not fuss around with the bergers much. the barnes are a "hard"/ tough bullet so you go down in weight and bergers are soft so you go up in weight; i.e.- if you shoot a 165 out of yer 30-06 you can go down to 150 for barnes and you go up to 175-180 with the berger.

i shoot 140 amax out of my 6.5x284 and so far they have been great most of my shots have been between 300 - 500 yards on Roe,Red & Sika out of the 33 i shot last year i only had one run about 20yards the rest DRT

rb

Hard to beat the Hornady 139gr accubond for any 7mm hunting application.

They have performed flawlessly for me on everything from coyotes to big hogs, to deer, to antelope out to 1,120yds out of both my 7mag and 7mm STW.

I've loaded them from as low as 2,850fps to as high as 3,450fps between the two calibers for all of the above mentioned species as well as small varmints.

If you want something a little heavier with a higher BC then the interbond in 154gr will definitely fit the bill.

http://www.hornady.com/store/.284-7mm/

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.