Scope for 243??

PainterJohn

I am thinking of a leupold vx-iii 2.5-8x36 or similar as it is lightweight and compact. I am not too familiar with what other manufacturers may offer along these lines....i am thinking of keeping this gun lightweight and handy as i will be quite mobile. It will also be used in a varmint hunting situation on occasion(coyote/groundhogs).

I need the best bang for the buck as these eyes are showing their age! Light gathering ability is a weighted consideration also....i am open to used scopes as well, all suggestions and ops are appreciated!

Bit of a dilema, I had the same issue deciding, fortunatly I aquired a 243WSSM in a addition to the .243Win. You can not go wrong with the 2.5x8x36. I have these on two rifles one being the .243Win. I have consistantly killed game at 3OO yards, small stuff, Javalina and Coyotes. It's light, glass is fantastic and dials accuratly. I have a couple of the Leupold Compacts and they do not adjust as consistantly and the glass is just not as good as the VXIII. As for the small stuff at longer ranges, P Dogs, Rabbits etc. . . I wanted more magnification, finally settle on a Burriss compact in 4.5x14 certainly not as clear as the Leupold especially at higher mag; however the extra mag really helps. I managed to bust a coyote at 540 with this rig, really beleive that would have been dificult with the 2.5x8.

Great caliber the .243 certainly has taken more game for me than anyother caliber. Good luck choosing.

I have a vari-x iii 2.5-8x36 that I could remove from my 7mm rem mag. I have thought about something nicer for that gun with a BR. I also have an unused 4.5-14x40 vari-x-iii in the box, but it has a fine duplex reticle with AO on the obj lens. I would be concerned about the crosshairs in low light with this..... I have an unfired Sauer 243 with heavy fluted barrel I had thought of using this on.....prarie dogs and plinking at long distance....thoughts??

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.