243 Scope Suggestions

Takem406

I need a scope for the wifes 243. The rifle is a prairie rifle, used for prairie dogs and prairie deer. Shots probably will be under 400 for deer and 500 for dogs.
The simpler the better with a high end of about 16x-18x and a low end no high than 4x. Probably a simple reticle would be best.
Shes been using a VX2 3-9 but its just not enough zoom past 250 especially on dogs. This morning she missed a doe and I'm pretty sure she just could get a good enough picture at 300.
Budget would be about $600.
I've been looking at the Votex Viper 4-16x50 LR. I'd like to get two of the same scopes, the other would go on my 308/her elk rifle. On the Votex can the elevation turret be set to yards instead of MOA clicks? I'm no scout sniper and MOA is rocket science to me let alone the wife. But I can take a range readings and go from there. I know Huskemaw uses yardage and a couple others.
Any suggestions?

I have a Sightron SII 6-24X42 AO on my .243 and use it to the same ranges for the same situations. I've never prarie dog hunted but I've shot coyotes beyond that range. My scope is a duplex reticle, fine crosshair that should very clearly zoom in on a prarie dog.

I have a Sightron SII 6-24X42 AO on my .243 and use it to the same ranges for the same situations. I've never prarie dog hunted but I've shot coyotes beyond that range. My scope is a duplex reticle, fine crosshair that should very clearly zoom in on a prarie dog.

Probably could also look the Leupolds too. I love my VXIII 6.5-20x50. It sure is great on the 22-250!

Should I be looking at a first focal plane over a second?

I have a few Leupolds, dollar for dollar I think Sightron glass is better and I've yet to not have my Sightrons track the way it is supposed to.

Takem, my son and I have several higher power scopes, all with 1 inch tubes. I just purchased a 4X16X50 with a 30mm tube and the difference at longer ranges is tremendous. I assume the 30mm lets more light in, but compared to the comparable quality 1 inch scope in the same power and objective size, wow. Perhaps some members with more time on 30mm scopes can chime in. Good luck.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.