Scope Covers for my scope

Discussion in 'Long Range Scopes and Other Optics' started by mrb1982, Dec 26, 2012.

1. mrb1982

mrb1982 Well-Known Member

I am gonna buy some Butler Creek scope covers for my Leupold VX-3 6.5-20x50. Is there anybody who has covers for this scope that can tell me the sizes they use? I have figured a couple sizes from the dimensions listed on the measurements on the website but just looking to see if everybody elses sizes meet my guesstimates. Thanks

2. Zep

Zep Well-Known Member

Why don't you just put the Leupolds on?

3. FEENIX

FEENIX Well-Known Member

Butler Creek Scope Cover Size Chart

4. mrb1982

because of cost

thanks. this is a better chart than the ones I've found elsewhere

5. SidecarFlip

SidecarFlip Well-Known Member

In other words, you are cheap.......:D

I can't blame you, I like the BC's better myself.

6. mrb1982

lol That is correct. This long range stuff is an expensive endeavor and if I can save some money on something that doesn't need to be expensive, I won't. Seems like the Leupolds are like 90-100 if I remember right, and the BC's are roughly 20.

7. SidecarFlip

...and the BC's are thermoformed in China BTW. Not that it matters. Cheap is cheap. I relate to that, The Aluminia Covers are around 50 an edition.

Probably made in China too. Leupold is secretive about 'where it's made'.....:D

8. Zep

Zep Well-Known Member

I was just trying to help out, the Leupold certainly are nice.

9. mrb1982

No Worries Zep. I really really really think the Leupold covers look cool, but I'm kinda a cheap guy on some stuff. Might be one of those upgrade things down the road from now.

10. bb204

bb204 Well-Known Member

I bought a set of the Leupold Aluminas a few years ago. Used them on a snowy hunt and couldn't keep them closed. I guess the magnets weren't strong enough. Anyway, I changed them back to the BCs after that hunt. I have used these caps (BCs) on many rifles for over 30 years and have never had any issues with them. I liked the Lupys, but not for a foul weather scope cover. Especially for around $90. YMMV.

11. SidecarFlip

Bad deal when the lid won't stay down......

This is a case of 2 manufacturers selling similar products, one cheap one expensive. Both work but one works better and the cheaper just happens to be better. That in itself is unusual.

I like the Leupold caps too, They appeal to my asthetic taste, however, cheap plastic is fine too, especially if the cheap plastic works.......

12. mrb1982

Pretty much sums it up......

I guess I look at it this way, I can replace my cheap covers 4-5 times for the cost of one set of the Leupold's. Plus, I have a buddy with the BC's and they seem alright.

I found my caliper the other night and just got an exact measurement of the sizes I need, not what the manufacturer specs it at. I just want to make sure I buy the right cover sizes.

Someone told me once that if you are on the fence with 2 sizes, to buy the smaller one so they fit better. Makes sense to me. Anybody have any input on this.

13. SidecarFlip

Not too much smaller. They are plastic so they stretch a bit. Take a caliper and measure the OD of the ocular and objective and order accordingly.

14. bb204

bb204 Well-Known Member

Don't hold me to this, but I think the BCs are 13 eyepiece and 43 objective. I'm pretty sure the 43 is correct.