Scope choice for a 300WM

Mr Ed

Hi all. I'm buying a 300WM Tikka Tactical and would like some advise from distance shooters as to the best scope and why.
I was looking at the Leupold Tactical MK IV 3.5 to 10 x 40 talored for the 300 which you just dial the distance and hold the cross hairs on target (for a given bullet weight at a given velocity). The only problem I have with this is I prefer a larger magnification and wondered if the Leupold Varmint 6.5 to 20 would be better? I'm not very experienced at shooting over long range (out to 1000m) and would appreciate any advice as they cost a sh#* load and I want to get it right first time. Cheers
grin.gif
grin.gif

Edwam
Hi and welcome.
Like you I am just getting started in this long range stuff!
I have an Accurracy International AWM-F chambered in .300 win. mag. I load my own ammunition. I am currently shooting a 190 grain Seirra Match King Hollow Point, using Lapua brass, IMR 4350 powder, and CCI Mag primers. Listed muzzle velocity of my load is 2950 ft. per sec.
The current scope I use is a Leupold Illuminated Long Range M3 3.5-10-40mm.
I am immensely pleased with this set up.
However!!
I am feeling the need to have more magnification...brighter optics and more precise adjustments.
As an aside...there is an interesting thread on this forum, that talks about "accuracy vs. precision". It makes interesting reading and is well written, and demonstrated!!
With that in mind the Leupold LR M3 will have 1 minute clicks of adjustment for elevation.
My experience so far (about 200 rounds fired)!! Once my rifle was sighted in, it was simply...dial the range in on the scope elevation knob...adjust the parallax...fire, and the round went where they were aimed, (point of aim = point of impact) both at 100 yards and 200 yard settings. No other ranges were tried. With the Leupold you can play with the dials all day long, i.e. turn them from stop to stop and they will return to your original zero.
This weekend I have made arrangements to look at a Schmidt & Bender PM II in 3-12 X 50mm & 4-16 X 50mm. With 1/4 inch adjustments and there propietery double turn elevation knob. Metric adjustmens are also available...but not as precise as 1/4" adjustments...about 3/8".
My guess is I will walk away with the 4-16 PM II. Because I can always dial down the magnification!!
Other scopes I have entertained...is Night Force and US Optics... Oh! US Optics has a sale on some of there scopes, now as I write this, the scopes are listed on there web site. I have not had the occasion to look through or use these optics, and cannot speak for them. My online research reveals they are both highly recommended!! However, if you want to look through or at Night Force or US Optics and are from Central Pensylvania...it seems these scopes are both kept with the Dead Sea Scrolls.
Schmidt & Bender Rep.'s I talked with yesterday said they would send me a scope to look at, and if I didn't like it...simply return the scope and they would refund the purchase...hmmm intersting way of doing business.
Accuracy Internation has there own scope made to there specifications by Schmidt & Bender. And...my understanding is, this scope has a bullet cam with the elevation adjustment. .300 win. mag. cam? Also a ranging feature in the bottom of the scope. I will know later today if a .300 win mag cam is available.
This subject is also being discussed under "optics" and the thread is "Confidence"!!
Again...welcome, congratulations on your new rifle... Good choice! Let us all know how you get along.
I hope this is of some help to you.
Semper Fi
Bruce ~~___/)~*~

Thanks for the comment. I read someones view on the net about the Leupold BDC dials and the writer didn't rate them too highly especially once you get over the 400m mark. They are designed specifically for the Military so any soldier can pick it up and hit a torso (big target) out to a reasonably long range even if unfamiliar with the ballistics. OK wounding the enemy but I don't want to wound game!
The callibration takes into account the bullet weight & velocity but doesn't mention the BC, though I assume it would be for a FMJ what ever the BC is on that?
Conclusion is I want something more accurate so I will go for a higher magnification scope like a 8.5 - 25 x 50 TR/T and take it to the range and count and record the clicks once I've found the best load and then maybe get a BDC customed to my load by an outfit like Kenton Indus. I see they also do adjusters for windage! ...can anyone recomend them or a better system?
grin.gif

Edwam,
I just reread your last reply and thought perhaps I could add to my origional posting:

While I was doing research for my long range rifle I located...online the origional study by the US Navy for developement of the .300 win mag.
Out of this study came the .300 win. mag. 190 gr. boat tail. Sierra offers this bullet 190 gr. hollow point boat tail. (SMK)!!
Leupold's cam is calabrated for this bullet @2950 fps...
Last weekend I looked at a Schmidt & Bender PM II in both 3-12 X 50 and 4-16 X 50 configurations. The 4-16 had the double turn turrets...had it not I would have walked away with it. I was most impressed. I am looking at the CM adjustments and plan on making a "come up chart" and will afix it to my rifle/scope!!
Also had the occassion to look through a Ziess 3-12 X 50 tacticle. Again I was impressed.
Good luck!!
Semper Fi
Bruce ~~___/~*~

There are alot a good optics out there and you can't go wrong with leupold. I have the MK IV LR/T 6.5-20 IR on two of my tactical rifles. I am considering buying a third over the Nightforce. I'm having another rifle built in .300 WSM. I am partial to the IR reticles as well. Just sharing! Good luck!

The European scopes here in NZ are "very" expensive compared to Leupolds which are just expensive. From what I've seen when comparing the Optics, the Leupolds are only marginally inferior to the European brands but better value with equal back-up and overall quality...would this be a fair summary?
I was pondering wether to get one of the IR model Leupolds as alot of shots are taken in dim light on dusk. How good are they? I have a cheap one on my 22/250 for bunny popping and found it useful only for about a 1/4 an hour or so before dark and after that you can't see the victim anyway. It has 6 intensity settings but stays on the dimmest as any more distracts you from the target.
Which recticle is both your references? ...Duplex is the only one I have ever used!
PracTac ...do you find the 6.5 - 20 magnification sufficient?
This is, for the larger part anyway, an excellent, informative forum and it has me hooked! Cheers

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.