Scope adjustment for spin and wind Help

bigbulls

Sighting in my rifle if I hit to the right of the bull I put cross hairs on bull and move scope turret/reticle to the right also right on the dial and that has worked great dead on. Now shooting long range no wind both my app and sig 2400 say .25-.50 depending on distance Left for spin drift. I know I'm over thinking this but if my bullet were to impact the target to the right/right hand twist barrel as in sighting in the rifle I would move the turret/reticle to the right to zero so why I'm I questioning the left of the app and sig 2400? I know I'm over thinking this but can someone explain

So when you crank your turret left you are moving your cross hairs right. Right hand twist barrel means spin drift right. So if you are hitting right side of target then you would either dial your turret left correction (which moves you reticle right) or simply reticle hold that amount you are hitting to the right on the left side of target. It gets whacky thinking about scopes and how cranking up correction on turret is pushing reticle down and vice versa. So your app is saying .25-.50 left correction which would be on the dial or wind hold that amount with reticle. Spindrift gets a little whacky on out at distance and wind direction now comes into play and the direction of your twist with that wind. Right to left wind usually hits high with rt hand twist, left to right usually hits low with right hand twist. Sometimes these are small amounts never the less another thing to figure out. Great chart here for visual aid.
7C91EBB2-3926-47C0-A0C4-4446CF6A18F7.png

Last edited:
Those apps don't spit out correction based on which way reticle moves when the turrets are turned,, but correction on which direction you need to spin turret to make that correction. Does that makes sense. I mean it makes sense and induces less thinking, so app says 1 moa left then you dial 1 moa in what ever direction your turrets is marked with an L. Also when you put your cross hairs on the bull and drag your reticle to the bullet hole that is to the right of target just looking through the scope, look at which way your are dialing reticle on turret, Left. Hope I didn't just make more confusion lol

Last edited:
It does Remmy, I just went and checked to see what was going on this is a new Zeiss scope, If I turn the dial for left wind/left marked on turret it moves the cross hairs left also, so I pulled out another gun with a Leupold and right goes left and left goes right, do you think they put the wrong printed turret on this Zeiss scope or are Zeiss just messed up :)?

It is different then my Leupold but I looked at images of Zeiss online and the those turret looks like mine. I guess they do it different then the others.

Attachments

• IMG_0685.JPG
    IMG_0685.JPG
    1,018.1 KB · Views: 204
  • IMG_0686.JPG
    IMG_0686.JPG
    958.2 KB · Views: 248
They are opposite of each other if you turn the dial back to yourself the Zeiss dial says left and moves cross hairs left and the leupold dial says right and moves cross hairs left.

As Remmy 700 said, they are the same, but opposite approaches in the manner of marking.

As you look at the dial face, clockwise is left for both scopes.

Thank you, I see that now, I'm just wondering why they would print the numbers/ letters like L1,L2 ect opposite of every other brand of scope, so now if my app or range finder says L1 moa I have to move to R1 instead, it's not a problem it's just a little confusing.

Sighting in my rifle if I hit to the right of the bull I put cross hairs on bull and move scope turret/reticle to the right also right on the dial and that has worked great dead on. Now shooting long range no wind both my app and sig 2400 say .25-.50 depending on distance Left for spin drift. I know I'm over thinking this but if my bullet were to impact the target to the right/right hand twist barrel as in sighting in the rifle I would move the turret/reticle to the right to zero so why I'm I questioning the left of the app and sig 2400? I know I'm over thinking this but can someone explain
counterclockwise should be right and up in my book

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.