Science of rucking

Interesting info on what training provided the biggest gains. I enjoy rucking but I typically run a ton and have worried about not being able to have enough time to get the rucking volume up enough. Apparently rucking in as high a volume as I thought necessary isn't needed! Which is good, because I've always thought that it's likely not great for a person's skeletal system and connective tissue to be loaded with 75+ pounds for 10+ hours a week moving at a fast pace.

Interesting info on what training provided the biggest gains. I enjoy rucking but I typically run a ton and have worried about not being able to have enough time to get the rucking volume up enough. Apparently rucking in as high a volume as I thought necessary isn't needed! Which is good, because I've always thought that it's likely not great for a person's skeletal system and connective tissue to be loaded with 75+ pounds for 10+ hours a week moving at a fast pace.
It's not. It's very hard on your body even when you're in "good shape."

Leading up to hunting, and I am no skinny guy, I walk every morning around the neighborhood for about 60 minutes with a 40-45lb pack. I will do a longer trek on a weekend, usually 5 to 8 miles and drive up to a higher elevation.

I find this gets me mostly ready. I am
In Colorado already so not quite as much of an elevation shock as some folks. I still have a couple days of altitude acclimation depending on how high up we go a given year.

When i was Mountaineering & Climbing i would train each morning when I was not actually Backpacking in the Smokies. I had a top notch pack that I would put 70 lbs in and made a drag with two truck tires attached with a rope to my pack. Would go up a lot of hills for at least two hours. every day. Had to be in top physical condition. When actually climbing a mountain we would carry 70-80 lbs in backpack and 40 lbs in a sled attached to the pack. You had to carry everything to survive for several weeks on your back and sled.
When I worked for a national Insurance Company I had the opportunity to do a Risk Assessment at a Manufacture that made all the Web Gear and Packs for the SEALS. I had to get a Government Clearence to go onsite. The owner of the company gave me a tour of the facility and equipment they made. Kevlar in just about everything with lightweight materials. The quality of everything was the BEST and Tripple QC before it left the facility. They made so many different configurations that all fit together. The cost $$$s to Tax payers was beyond my belief. The owner knew that I was into climbing mountains, backpacking and hunting and offer me some of the GEAR. I was stupid and didn't take the offer due to company police of not accepting gifts or products from potential customers. "Conflict of Interest" I should have disregarded it and got some gear. They made to coolest and usable gear. The SEALs and Special Operators get the BEST equipment. I still kick myself in the butt for not getting some of that gear for hunting.
All those years of pounding my body kept me in GREAT shape, but can't last forever. I had four knee scopes, Two ACL replacements, a total knee replacement, three shoulder rotor cuff repairs and one total shoulder, four spinal cord operations with five disc removals and C-2 to C-7 all Titanium, countless feet/toe issues.
I suggest keeping in shape, but not to the extreme.

Years of rucking with stupid heavy packs and body armor has destroyed my hips and knees. Of course, horseshoeing did not help. I still run every other day but it makes me ache