SBR Shooter or Not?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cops arrested a convicted felon who threatened several people with one, note the drum mag. Both SBR's and high capacity mags are illegal here in CA. They will probably tickets him and let him go,.... again.
sbr.jpg
Looks like it would be hard to shoot accurately.

Cops arrested a convicted felon who threatened several people with one, note the drum mag. Both SBR's and high capacity mags are illegal here in CA. They will probably tickets him and let him go,.... again.
View attachment 363875 Looks like it would be hard to shoot accurately.
Convicted Felon…Bet he filled out all the proper paperwork and did his background check too. Brandon needs to figure out who they are punishing.. And enforce existing laws not make new ones..

Convicted Felon…Bet he filled out all the proper paperwork and did his background check too. Brandon needs to figure out who they are punishing.. And enforce existing laws not make new ones..
Federal level Felon in Possession are some of the absolute easiest cases to investigate and prosecute. Yet, DoJ pursues very few.

Went to the local public shooting range today.
While I was there I noticed a man in the pistol range area shooting a 8 1/2" barreled AR with no sights of any kind installed.
Curious why anyone would want to shoot using the flat top picatinny rail as a sight, I stepped to get a closer look. As I watched him shooting 3 foot over the top of the target frame at 7 yards, I noticed that this "shorty" pistol had an adjustable length carbine stock. A SBR.

After he stopped to reload, I leaned in and asked if he knew he was shooting and illegal weapon - an SBR. His response was: "Well this is the way I bought it". With a kind of mind your own business attitude in his voice.

Wow, first of all what in the world did he expect to gain by him, Mama and Daughter shooting this weapon, tearing up the baffles, target frame, posts, and everything except the paper target?

As far as I know, an SBR must be registered with the Federal Government like a silencer or machinegun and the cost to make or transfer one is a $200 tax. I don't know what the fine might be, but I am guessing it might be large and include some jail time. This guy obviously could not care less about what I was telling him. And I am not an ATF secret agent, so I just let it go.

Eventually, the range officer asked him to stop shooting the sightless weapon. He had no other weapons to shoot, so he, Mama and Daughter left the range.

Was I wrong to say anything to this guy? How do you educate people who don't really "give a chip"?
Best way to deal with that is probably let the RSO and Range officials handle it!

Went to the local public shooting range today.
While I was there I noticed a man in the pistol range area shooting a 8 1/2" barreled AR with no sights of any kind installed.
Curious why anyone would want to shoot using the flat top picatinny rail as a sight, I stepped to get a closer look. As I watched him shooting 3 foot over the top of the target frame at 7 yards, I noticed that this "shorty" pistol had an adjustable length carbine stock. A SBR.

After he stopped to reload, I leaned in and asked if he knew he was shooting and illegal weapon - an SBR. His response was: "Well this is the way I bought it". With a kind of mind your own business attitude in his voice.

Wow, first of all what in the world did he expect to gain by him, Mama and Daughter shooting this weapon, tearing up the baffles, target frame, posts, and everything except the paper target?

As far as I know, an SBR must be registered with the Federal Government like a silencer or machinegun and the cost to make or transfer one is a $200 tax. I don't know what the fine might be, but I am guessing it might be large and include some jail time. This guy obviously could not care less about what I was telling him. And I am not an ATF secret agent, so I just let it go.

Eventually, the range officer asked him to stop shooting the sightless weapon. He had no other weapons to shoot, so he, Mama and Daughter left the range.

Was I wrong to say anything to this guy? How do you educate people who don't really "give a chip"?
You don't.

As stated in a previous post there are length adjustable pistol braces and they can be difficult to distinguish from a regular rifle stock.

I would question why he was shooting it with no sights at all. Was he firing it from the shoulder? If so even with no sights it shouldn't have been that hard to hit the target at 21'.

Good point. I'd forgotten about that aspect of it. I think it's interesting how the 'tax stamp' has changed in its effectiveness. My understanding is that when the federal government first passed legislation instituting the tax stamp back in what, the '60s..'70s(?) $200 was a lot of money and was intended to dissuade people from pursuing SBRs, suppressors or full autos. Now days, $200 is more of an 'annoyance' for most of us. Well, that and the 9 month wait.

It was actually from 1934, the $200 was chosen as it was the same price as a Thompson Sun Machine gun at the time and equivalent of over $4,200 today just in tax money.

For another comparison the Maxim Silencer offered at that time cost $5 which effectively killed the suppressor industry until inflation caught up.

It was actually from 1934, the $200 was chosen as it was the same price as a Thompson Sun Machine gun at the time and equivalent of over $4,200 today just in tax money.

For another comparison the Maxim Silencer offered at that time cost $5 which effectively killed the suppressor industry until inflation caught up.
Yep. The law was a direct attempt to tax certain weapons out of circulation due to mob and gang activity during that time. Even then, people were cowards willing to sign off their rights for the illusion or perceived safety.

In many ways, not much has changed.

As well he should. You know nothing about him and his firearm and you made a bunch of assumptions. At the risk of sounding blunt, mind your own business.

Status
Not open for further replies.