Saving MOA's when mounting a new scope???

tsmiller4

Saving MOA\'s when mounting a new scope???

Is it possible to save your MOA's when you mount a scope. I have a new zeiss I'm mounting and its set at the mid range around 32 moa from the factory. Would it be possible to turn it down around 10 or so to save some adjustments, or will this screw it up when I bore sight it. I don't have any angled bases just regular standard leupy bases and rings. Any info would help.
Thanks

Re: Saving MOA\'s when mounting a new scope???

Basically, no.
But you can shim it if you really want to... but its not going to get you much. The best thing to do would be to mount the scope, boresight it, and zero it at whatever the closest range you are going to be shooting it at. Then you will know how many moa you have in both directions, and you will have a good idea just how many MOA you would need built into a base if you decide to get one. Lets say you have 64moa in your scope, and when you zero (at 100) you find that the centered factory seting just happens to be perfect... aint gonna happen, but lets say it does. This gives you 32moa up, and 32moa down. If you went to a 20moa base you would have 52moa up, and 12moa down.
But you really won't know anything untill you have a flat base zero.

does it help to get the scope mounted as close to the barrel as you can. i mounted a 40mm scope with some high ring and i lost some moa

Nope, Untill you get a scope mounted several inches above the bore, its not going to have a lot of influence on trajectory. The primary thing that influences how many moa you are going to have left after zeroing is that all the surfaces between the action and the scope are either parallel to the bore centerline, or angled in such a way that it reduces the up moa used... IE the back of the action is higher than the front. If you are mounting a scope on a custom, those surfaces are probably going to be machined right. On a factory, maybe, maybe not. Soooo... the best way to figure out where you are from where you need to go, is to mount it on a flat base, boresight, and zero, then do some click counting. Sure there are ways to measure the action to find out other ways, but the average shooter, and most shooters who aren't gunsmiths don't have the nessicary tools. Me included. Its worth it to me to shoot maybe 5 rounds, and know exactly where in the scope my zero is.

Yes, you can save some up adjustment using Burris Signature rings. I set up all my scopes with an extra 20 moa of up by mounting them nose down and tail high using the offset bushings.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.