Saving a barrel

eric2381

Hello,

I have a rifle that I shoot quite a bit during the summer. It's a custom 7mm rem mag. The action is a stainless M70 classic. The barrel is a 26" Douglas premium. It sits in a McMillan A3.

Anyways, I have around 800 rounds through it. Looking down the barrel, the leading edges of the rifling look nice and square still. When cleaning it, the rod has quite a bit of resistance at first, then it smoothes out for the rest of the barrel. I'd say that it's the first inch or so.

My accuracy isn't what it used to be. Is it time for a new barrel, or can I do something to smooth it out and get next summer out of it?

Thanks for your time, Eric

Hello,

I have a rifle that I shoot quite a bit during the summer. It's a custom 7mm rem mag. The action is a stainless M70 classic. The barrel is a 26" Douglas premium. It sits in a McMillan A3.

Anyways, I have around 800 rounds through it. Looking down the barrel, the leading edges of the rifling look nice and square still. When cleaning it, the rod has quite a bit of resistance at first, then it smoothes out for the rest of the barrel. I'd say that it's the first inch or so.

My accuracy isn't what it used to be. Is it time for a new barrel, or can I do something to smooth it out and get next summer out of it?

Thanks for your time, Eric

This sounds like carbon and/or copper fouling and can be removed.

Start cleaning with a strong solvent Like Sweets (I prefer Butches bore shine) and with
the muzzle at a good down angle (I dont like getting the solvent in the action) and give
the bore a good brushing, then let it set for 10 or 15 minutes.

Push a patch through the bore and repeat the process until the dry patch feels smooth
all the way down the bore.

The throat area get the most fouled and sometimes needs extra cleaning.

With only 800 rounds through the barrel it should be fine.

After a bare metal cleaning use a swab with a mild solvent (Like Hoppe's #9 and do a final cleaning to remove any of the strong solvent and a lightly oiled patch to protect the bore
until you shoot it.

This process may change your zero for a few shots until it gets seasoned so don't worry,
and most of the time it improves the accuracy.

There are carbon solvents but I have never needed to try them.

J E CUSTOM

I have always cleaned with Wipeout. I've been soaking it overnight, then patching it out in the morning 'til the patches are clean.

I will try some Butches bore shine and try the method you mentioned. Hopefully it will help out.

Thanks

You have probably got layers of carbon then copper, carbon then copper etc in the throat and first inch or two.

First you need to use a carbon remover, (Slip 2000, Montana Extreme, Butchs etc) then work the layers out.

I would use a good hard bristle brush such as the Kleen Bore or Montana Exreme, as the copper cleaners will eat up a bronze brush.

You can also use ISSO paster on a bristle brush or patch wrapped jab to work it out.

it will not be easy or quick normally.

Montana Extreme Copper Creme also works really well for that and Sinclair sells the right brushes.

http://www.sinclairintl.com/.aspx/pid=33153/Product/Montana_Extreme_Copper_Cream___6_oz

BH

Very common what you are seeing or rather feeling. Do not waste you time with anything but Iosso. Get the brush they have as well, follow instructions and in 10 minutes you will have a clean tube.

If after all the cleaning the accuracy still doesn't improve find someone with a bore scope that knows what they are looking for to check the condition of your barrel. If it isn't eroded too bad you can always have the barrel set back. This should give you at least 1 or 2 more shooting seasons.

BK

Yes---find someone with a scope and see what is going on. I love mine---could not do without it.. Getting ready to go and Isso a couple of new rifles that will be starting load development this weekend. Always Isso before shooting---trick Speedy taught me.

I've got a big order of stuff coming from Sinclairs, for this job and other rifles as well.

I had some grease valve lapping compound. I stroked it heavy with that on a brush, patched it out, and it is noticeably smoother. I have the bore plugged and it's sitting full of Wipeout at the moment.

Here's hoping...

Hope it was just a tinker around with barrel because you most likely ruined it. Bummer but these things happen when you do not know what you are doing.

You were removing good metal as well as carbon when going back and forth---also it was not evenly applied.

I've scoped barrels of 7 mags that were shot out in 750 rounds, yours may have been junk regardless of the attempt to remidy the situation.

Summer high volume shooting of a 7 mag is not very barrel friendly.

Like was said earlier get a trained eye to scope it.
Go shoot it after your scrubbing and please report back.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.