Savage

marketello

I have been looking at Remingtons, but after so many on this board have suggested Savage, I have been looking at those also.

I'll be looking for a LH rifle in .308, What can anybody tell me about the pros and cons of the Law enforcment series, vs the Varmit series? They seem simular but there must be some pros and cons.

I want to take up bench shooting, but also wish to hunt the rifle.

Thank you.

The only differances I have seen are the stocks and the LE rifles are offered with shorter barrels.

other than the barrel length I have not seen or heard of either one being any more or less accurate than the other.

I picked up a 10FP-LE2 earlier this fall. This is one of the 'Law Enforcement' aka tactical models, in .308 Winchester, w/ a 26" barrel.

About the biggest difference btwn this and the 12FV is that I got an extra sling stud on the forearm of the same cheezy stock, and my bolt is 'blacked out' rather than the normal polished/chromed/whatever finish. That, and about $40 or so.

I got the 10FP-LE2 since I wanted to have a simple, basic .308 rifle for the various fun and tactical matches, as well as hunting, w/o spending an arm, leg, and left testicle to do so (already did for my match rifles!)

So far it shoots pretty nice, the trigger is adjusted all the way down as light as it will go to 2.5#, etc. etc. Barrel is a little weird if you look down it w/ a borescope, but it shoots, which is what counts to me. The stock is an utter disappointment, as it contacts the barrel along one side, and flexes in the barrel channel If I grip the pistol grip and twist even moderately. The Bell & Carlson Duramax stocks are probably the next step up, at about $90-125 depending on finish pattern, and then the Stockade Gun stocks. Same thing sold thru Brownell's, Lock Stock & Barrel, and Sharp Shooter Supply. Brownell's charges an awful lot for a Out of The Mold (OTM) version that needs some bondo and sanding; LS&B is about the cheapest place to get one. The 'WoodChuck', which is what SSS calls a 'Varmint/Tactical', appears to be pretty close to Remington's Varmint Synthetic stock in proportion, and starts at $135 unfinished, and you can get whatever LOP you want (important to me @ 6'5") w/ a 1/2" or 1" recoil pad. Probably my next fall/winter project right there: some bondo, some sanding, and then some Krylon ultra flat camo paint in khaki.

HTH,

Monte

Ive owned remingtons for years, ive 5 in my safe, but i am selling them to make room for some savages. I like the savage better, its got more options and can be a modular rifle, its easy to re barrel for the none gunsmith(which isn't and advantage to me as i have all the tools for rebarreling about anything)
you get more for less mony with a savage.
Pete

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts