• You must be a Supporting Member to create a listing in the Long Range Hunting Marketplace. To read all the rules, click here.

We offer multiple options to become a Supporting Member here.

SOLD/EXPIRED Savage Varminter 12FVSS 270 WSM NIB PLUS brass dies etc...

cdherman

Story is as follows: I bought a 12FVSS Savage Varminter in 270 WSM 3 years ago. Tried for two seasons to get it to shoot and failed to get it to group under 1", which I find unacceptable. I finally bought factory ammo just to verify it was not "me" that cannot handload anymore.

The orignal gun shot 4" groups with premium $50/box ammo..... So it went back to Savage and they replaced the gun. Not just the barrel, the whole gun. New in box.

In the meantime, my finances are such that I have more money than time -- so I am haivng a fully custom gun built. Guess I am tired of taking chances. Next loads I work up and barrel I clean after each shot for the first 20 shots had **** well better be worth my time.....

This gun was shot three times -- savage sent the pattern, with a three shot group out of a new, unbroken barrel, was about an inch. This might be a helluva shooter, maybe not. Who knows.

It too heavy as well for my orignal intent, which was to carry it around. Its a sittin' gun, pure and simple.....

So I am letting go of the whole package. Brass (Winchester) #200, about which 80 are unfired. Hornady premium dies.

Burris insert rings for scope are negotiable, but my Zeiss scope is not......

Its a nice looking gun. Not out of proportion. 26' barrel, fluted. And Savage no longer makes this chambering.

I'd like $800 for the works, includng bases, brass, dies and , $840 with rings as well. The rings are a nickel color and do not match the stainless perfectly, just FYI. Not bad, but not perfect....

I'd take less if you don't want the brass/dies etc. But not much less. My other option is to rebarrel the gun to 300 WSM and sell the heavy fluted barrel in 270 WSM .... I kind of would like a big 30 as I do not have one.

But my usual quary is whitetails and mulies in western KS and I really do not need a 300 WSM and I guess I am tired of the 270 WSM, as much as it held great promise and may still.

My loss, your gain....

I have to ship to FFL, as I do not have license myself....

What twist is the barrel, Savage has used 1-11 and 1-10 twist. I'm on the third barrel in the same rifle, everything has been well under 1 MOA!!!!

I don't know the twist. I guess I should run a patch through it and find out. Not exactly easy to determine if 1:10 versus 1:11.... Gun is still in the box...

As initially posted -- the gun is new and only test fired by Savage. Probably a very good barrel etc..

I have just lost interest in the 270 WSM -- would like to build up a custom barrel rig instead.

Although -- if some who actuallyed WANTED the 270 WSM fluted barrel of this gun (its new) I would let it go for any reasonable offer and then rebarrel with either someting in 6.5 or 300 WSM.....

Does the twist matter with regards to the barrel's value?

I don't know the twist. I guess I should run a patch through it and find out. Not exactly easy to determine if 1:10 versus 1:11.... Gun is still in the box...

As initially posted -- the gun is new and only test fired by Savage. Probably a very good barrel etc..

I have just lost interest in the 270 WSM -- would like to build up a custom barrel rig instead.

Although -- if some who actuallyed WANTED the 270 WSM fluted barrel of this gun (its new) I would let it go for any reasonable offer and then rebarrel with either someting in 6.5 or 300 WSM.....

Does the twist matter with regards to the barrel's value?

The 1-10 twist will stabilize the 165 Matrix which could help you sell this, it actually has more interesting ballistics than any other WSM!!