Savage shooters.... What model for a buddy?

RDM416

A friend of mine from a couple of states away called me the other day asking about a long range rifle (or his version of long range anyway). He wants to shoot to 500 yards and wants to buy a factory rifle in 300 win mag. He has plenty of $$ but don't want to spend $4K on a custom.

I told him for an off the shelf rifle that I had heard lots of good things on this forum about Savage. He asked what model I thought he should get so that is my question. Which model have you guys been having success with?

He wants to get the rifle and bring it out in a month or so for me to set up and get him shooting to 500.

Thanks guys, I don't disagree on the caliber but he is set on a 300 win mag and it will certainly perform fine at 500 yards so I did not try too hard to talk him out of it.

After browsing the Savage web site the 110 HS Precision would be my choice as I have A5 stocks on all my LR rigs and like the more tactical type stock. I will tell him either that one or the 111 LR Hunter. He may prefer a more traditional look and feel.

110 HS would be excellent, but if traditional is the way here a re a few:

Savage Arms Firearms > 16/116 Bear Hunter

Savage Arms Firearms > 16/116 FHSS

He could also call Savage and have them build him a 112BVSS. It's not a production model anymore, but they will put one together for him. I've read to many reports of the 300WM in the 111LRH with accuracy issues. So I am directing in the way of purchasing a regular rifle and upgrading as needed. If he would like a muzzle break, then he could purchase an aftermarket and put one on. IF he should go with the HS, then that would be the best set up.

A good friend of mine is having good success with the Weather Warrior model in 7wsm , stainless barrel, Accu-Stock & Accu-Trigger for around $800..looking forward to hearing about his Montana Elk Hunt

+2 on the 112 BVSS. I have one and 500 yds is really fun with this gun and 200 gr Accubonds.

+3 on the BVSS if you can get them to build one. Mine shoots great out of the box, and I killed a nice mulie last year at 450 yards only a few weeks after getting it. The weight makes it great to shoot and the laminate stock is very nice.

There is a good deal on one in the classifieds if the guys still has it.

Another vote for the BVSS. I have two of them, one in .300WinMag, another in 6.5-284Norma. The 6.5-284's stock was traded for another LRH members VLP stock. I had it bedded and it's just as accurate as before but even sharper looking now. It fits me better and I actually killed a coyote with it about 3 hours ago. Not LR (200yds) but it sure put the smack down on ole Wiley! Love that 6.5-284. :) JohnnyK.

Find a model 12lrp in 300wsm....can't wait to get my scope mounted and some rounds loaded....love savage rifles, tryin to get my wife convinced that we need to sell her Remington 700 204 ruger and get a pair of model 25 204s......love me some accutrigger!

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.