Savage SA Cartidge Options

blygy

So I got to thinking about rebarreling my Savage 12 VLP. It is currently a 204 ruger and I'm not real impressed.. I think I just expect too much.

But any way what options for a coyote gun.. I'm looking for fast with no wind drift.. I'm not real good @ doping wind yet..

So can a person shoe horm a WSM into this action or single load long action rounds?? what is the fastest flattest with the lest drift out there???

I know this is crazy but I thought I'd fish and see what happens...

Thanks Guys..

You can fit pretty much any short action round into that action. The WSM rounds are normally put in a large shank action and I'd bet yours is a standard shank.

You can also fit most long action rounds into that action, but it would be a single shot and you'd likely need to pull the bolt to eject the longer loaded rounds.

With any of the above, you'd need to change the bolthead to the new cartridge and screw in a new barrel. Both 10 minute jobs.

Specific info on savage's can be found over on the savage shooters forum

AJ

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.