Savage RUM ???

Discussion in 'Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics' started by EastHunter, Dec 4, 2008.

1. EastHunter

EastHunter Well-Known Member

I have read alot of thread in this forum that talk about savage rum.
    But their no rum on the savage site??? Could someone told me if they are
    custom only? Y would like to build a 340wby and dont know wich action is need(speak about caliber please). And what will be the precicion of the rifle
    that i could wich for? Any advice wellcome.

2. wkt60

wkt60 Member

Savage produced a 300 RUM several years ago. I acquired a NIB Savage 300 RUM off Auction Arms about a month ago.
    Non-accutrigger, and paid $ 425.00 (Probably too much)
    I wanted it for the extra large magazine length(3.63)
    I believe they are available only from the Savage custom shop now.
    As far as what action you need I'm sure someone with far more knowledge than I will chime in here or check out Savage Shooters forum for help.

3. KRP

KRP Well-Known Member

The RUMs aren't a current production item, the custom shop still builds them though and they show up used on occasion. Any long action will work for a 340 Weatherby, the RUM/H&H magazine box is .2" longer than a standard mag box but it can be fit to the standard long actions. How accurate the rifle is depends on a lot of variables, sub-MOA should be fairly easy to accomplish though.

4. Forester

Forester Well-Known Member

As stated above they are not a current production item. They are also getting hard to find. I have an open offer to buy (for a reasonable price) any Savage rifle chambered for a RUM or the H&H with a few local gunshops.

5. wkt60

wkt60 Member

6. geargrinder

geargrinder Well-Known Member

What about chambering it in 338 RUM? It will be a bit more forgiving in the mag box department. It's about .08" shorter.

I've also heard that the new centerfeed actions are easier to build RUM length cartridges with a few mag box modifications.

I think it was Earl Fouraker here, that just built a nice 7mm RUM on a new centerfeed action.

Here it is.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f53/new-long-range-savage-7ultra-32534/index3.html

7. teddy12b

teddy12b Well-Known Member

Back in the day I wanted a 300RUM and debated between remington and savage. I ended up with the remington (which was ahuge mistake) and wish I'd have bought the savage. The 300RUM still fasinates me and someday I'd like to buy another one, but I will make sure it's at least a 10 pound gun. If you find or build a RUM make sure it a heavy rifle or you're going to feel the pain.

8. Forester

Forester Well-Known Member