Savage RUM ???

EastHunter

I have read alot of thread in this forum that talk about savage rum.
But their no rum on the savage site??? Could someone told me if they are
custom only? Y would like to build a 340wby and dont know wich action is need(speak about caliber please). And what will be the precicion of the rifle
that i could wich for? Any advice wellcome.

Savage produced a 300 RUM several years ago. I acquired a NIB Savage 300 RUM off Auction Arms about a month ago.
Non-accutrigger, and paid $ 425.00 (Probably too much)
I wanted it for the extra large magazine length(3.63)
I believe they are available only from the Savage custom shop now.
As far as what action you need I'm sure someone with far more knowledge than I will chime in here or check out Savage Shooters forum for help.

The RUMs aren't a current production item, the custom shop still builds them though and they show up used on occasion. Any long action will work for a 340 Weatherby, the RUM/H&H magazine box is .2" longer than a standard mag box but it can be fit to the standard long actions. How accurate the rifle is depends on a lot of variables, sub-MOA should be fairly easy to accomplish though.

As stated above they are not a current production item. They are also getting hard to find. I have an open offer to buy (for a reasonable price) any Savage rifle chambered for a RUM or the H&H with a few local gunshops.

What about chambering it in 338 RUM? It will be a bit more forgiving in the mag box department. It's about .08" shorter.

I've also heard that the new centerfeed actions are easier to build RUM length cartridges with a few mag box modifications.

I think it was Earl Fouraker here, that just built a nice 7mm RUM on a new centerfeed action.

Here it is.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f53/new-long-range-savage-7ultra-32534/index3.html

Back in the day I wanted a 300RUM and debated between remington and savage. I ended up with the remington (which was ahuge mistake) and wish I'd have bought the savage. The 300RUM still fasinates me and someday I'd like to buy another one, but I will make sure it's at least a 10 pound gun. If you find or build a RUM make sure it a heavy rifle or you're going to feel the pain.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.