Savage rifle small or large shank

coyotejosh

How can one tell between a small or large shank on a savage rifle. Is it certain models or something else. I am trying to build a semi-custom rifle myself just to see if I can.

Might be worth reading up on some of the differences here:

New Page 4

Generally... all the Target Action rifles are large shank. Pretty much any long action (with the exception of the 110BA) should be small shank. *Most* short actions are small shank... but that can bite you too.

The barrel nut on a large shank is noticeably shorter than on a small shank. Other than that... get out your calipers. Small shank barrels are closer to 1.060, large shank closer to 1.130"

HTH,

Monte

If I remember correctly, a small shank nut is 7/8" long and a large shank nut is 5/8" long.

Large shanks are most commonly found on the WSM's, and on Precision Target Actions. The only long actions were the short run of RUM's that haven't been made in several years.

I'll also add my own opinion. You don't need a large shank for anything RUM sized and smaller. If you want to go larger sized, you should have the barrel fitted with a shoulder.

I've built a ton of WSM's and RUM's on small shank actions with no ill effects.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.