Savage rebarrel ? go no go wrench ?

ol mike

How hard is it to change the barrel on a savage 112 ,i haven't admittedly did a lot of research into it.
I'm pretty much mechanically inclined could i do this correctly? Mike

Not hard at all, you'll need a vice, wrench, and sized case or go no go guage. I did my first one in about 20 minutes, that was with a lot of checking and rechecking to make sure I got it right.

Chris

winmagman,
Thank you,>>>> I did a google search and found savage shooters= sharp shooters supply and alot of info.
My first search was someone trying to sell the sharp shooters supply site name.
I did a bit of reading and it did look do-able> now you've convinced me it is !
Some real nice looking stuff over there by the way ! << stocks ,barrels and such.Thanks again .Mike

just to give you an idea of the difficulty factor, I will walk you through the steps of the reinstall.

I use cases that are FL sized in MY dies. Custom fit without even trying. here we go, just be sure to read each step carefully and completely....

1) partially screw barrel into action.
2) chamber sized case and close bolt.
3) turn barrel until it hits the case.
4) Tighten nut to spec. Use the proper wrench. MidwayUSA,Brownells, ebay sells them.
5) chamber and extract case a few times just to be sure you didn't turn barrel in too far. If so, loosen nut and back off barrel. You want to feel that bolt just go firm before fully closed...zero headspace.
6) go make some noise.

yeah, it's that tough.

if you don't like the idea of zero headspace, just follow the instructions and turn barrel back about 1/8 to 1/4 rotation. Voila, about 3 thou clearance so there will be zippo issue for say hunting. Again, chamber and extract a few sized cases to ensure smooth cycling.

Enjoy...

Jerry

I've done 3 and JT has pretty much laid it out it's not brain surgery but you still want to be cautious. What I do differently is I cut a .002 feeler gauge to fit in the bolt face. I don't want it to close with it in place but close without it. Just an additional tip. Go for it! Good luck and keep us posted.

Bill > asked my next question for me > the gun will be a 243 AI so i'll have to try and find a healthy case or two.

Make sure i have this right guys,do i need a fireformed -full-length resized and trimmed case? Thanks Mike

Mike
If you can get a fireformed case that has been fired but not resized. Then resize with your dies that way you get an exact fit to your dies not someone elses.

If you want a true 243AI, just use your 243 brass as a headspace guage. Remember the a true AI will allow reg ammo to be shot while fireforming.

Follow the barreling instructions with your reg. 243 brass. You know that it will headspace tight and fireform properly. You can even use the COW method of fireforming then and save your bullets and barrel wear.

Jerry

Go with what Jerry just said If you are fireforming to an AI chamber. You want zero headspace on your standard .243 brass. Good luck with your project, I recently built a 260AI and love it.

Jerry ,i think this cow method you speak of is using something to hold the powder in -no bullet-.I did a search and didn't find much this side of cowboy and cow elk /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif.
Can you give me a little rundown on the procedure or a word to search with.
Also will once fired 243 brass fireform alright?

Coyboy ,This 243 AI is a project i'm kind of spearheading for my varminting partner.The 260 AI is one of my favorites without a doubt.I have a new 22-250 rem. xr100 and have pondered what it might someday become >>260 AI has crossed my mind quite a few times.
Have a good one >I'm >> bed...ME

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.