savage or remington

outdooraddict

My wife got me a sendero in 300 ultra for christmas wasnt expecting that one :D . So now my brother wants one so we can share ammo if need be and have relativly the same drop charts I know there may be slight variables but we hunt together all of the time and both agreed it may be the way to go. He is looking at a Savage 111 in 300rum this is a new gun and also a Remington 700 sps as they are both inexpensive he is wondering which is better. they are both in the $500 range so he can get the same nightforce scope I have. Thanks.

I wouldn't say one is better than the other, I prefer Remington actions because it's what I grew up with. I have more savages becuase I can replace barrels, set closer tollerances on head spacing, bulid an accurate custom set up at a very low cost. If the rifle isn't going to see lots of range time, then he should go with whatever make he's more compfortable with (the safety location is an issue for my father on the Savages, so he'll never own one). If he plans on shooting it every weekend, the savage may have a slight advantage with regard to cost. Also, some don't care for the accu-trigger, it's just a little different. Having your rifle feel like an extention of you own body is simply priceless when hunting, especially if you're having to make quick shot.

I would have steared ya towards a savage, but I don't think they chamber the RUM. Savage's accutrigger is hard to beat and they have an excellent reputation for accuracy. I have a Rem 700 and love it, but I think that the remington's are slipping. For an inexpensive Rum, you are limited to Remington (I think).

Landcb had a good point too. What ever he feels comfortable with.

I would go with a Savage in a heart beat. Less money and greater accuracy, not to mention the accutrigger. I am truly impressed with Savage Arms.

I would go with the remingtion in a sendero not the SPS because the
SPS has a tupper ware stock, thats why it,s cheeper.

For the extra bucks you get a very good stock with the Sendero
and a heaver barrel.

My second choice would be one of the savages with a heavy stock.

I use the SPS,s for donor rifles because they are cheep and I toss
the tupper ware stock and the barrel for a nice custom barrel and
stock.

If you or your buddy ever want to go with a custom barrel thats
all you replace because you already have every thing else.

A good custom stock will start around $400.oo and can exceed
$600.oo easy,so add that to the price of a SPS and the sendero
looks a lot better.

Something to think about
J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.