Savage Model 11 Bolt Release

ewoelk

I just picked up a new Savage Model 11 FCNS in 308. Yesterday I went to adjust the trigger and mount a scope. I figured I would take the bolt out while doing this, and for the life of me, I could not get it to release. I double checked my Dad's model 16 and it came right out. I took the stock off and inspected the arm the arm that the bolt release is supposed to engage and it looked fine. I pushed it manually and the bolt came right out.

My question is, has anyone else had trouble with the bottom bolt release? Is it a manufacturer defect?

You need to have the bolt in and firing pin dropped (in the fired position) to remove the action screws.

If I understand your order of operation.

The manual covers this.

I just picked up a new Savage Model 11 FCNS in 308. Yesterday I went to adjust the trigger and mount a scope. I figured I would take the bolt out while doing this, and for the life of me, I could not get it to release. I double checked my Dad's model 16 and it came right out. I took the stock off and inspected the arm the arm that the bolt release is supposed to engage and it looked fine. I pushed it manually and the bolt came right out.

My question is, has anyone else had trouble with the bottom bolt release? Is it a manufacturer defect?

I have the Savage 11 FCNS in .300 WSM; have no problem whatsoever and it's not a defect.

As always make sure the rifle is unloaded and safe.

To release the bolt, safety must be in fire mode (red showing) and the bottom bolt release and trigger must be depressed at the same time. The same is true when reinstalling the bolt.

Good luck!

I did everything that you're supposed to. I have my dad's savage to compare to and nothing is different. His bolt slides right out and mine won't release.

I'm guessing that the bolt release button is somehow barely missing the lever. I guess it's not a known defect.

Have you taken the action out of the stock and tried to remove the bolt? If you have, and it comes out then you probably have a problem with binding in the stock. Also sometimes the rear action screw is a bit long and protrudes into the receiver too far....this will cause the problem you are having also.

Yes. I took the action out and manually moved the lever. The bolt comes right out.

I can't see what's going on in there, but I'm guessing it has to do with a bolt not being torqued right. I'll have to put it all back together when I get home and see.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.