Savage LRH 7 Rem Mag..Help

SidTheKidd

Hello fellas,

I got a LRH coming in for a fella in a couple of days and need some quick load data for the gun, bc the owner will be leaving for a bear hunt on May 6, and still have to get a turret made. So kinda in a hurry.

What have you been using for loads? I was thinking about using 180 VLDs. For those of you that own this gun in 7RM, what velocities have you been seeing.

Please post up some load data, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks, in advance.

I do not have the exact rifle but I have a barrel just like it. 180 berger, Norma brass, WLRM, ZW.Dgrns Retumbo, if you can get that to stabilize. 168s work good with 72grns of H1000 or FZgrns H4831sc all .010" off the lands, both will run between 2975 and 3025fps.

I used the wrong button, 71.5grns Retumbo for the 180s and 67grns H4831sc for the 168s.

71.5 grains of retumbo with a 180 is getting hot in a factory chamber, however, 71.5 -72.0 grains is a very popular Retumbo powder charge for the 168.

With H1000 and the 180, somewhere around 69.0 grains with the bullets touching the lands will be close to getting you there.

I don't know if people are sissy's or can't recognize pressure. I have 20 winchester cases that had the factory round shot out of them and they have there 8th reload in them, these where used to try to detroy the cases, they have been charged as high as 73grns of H1000 and 68.5grns H4831sc, they're still going strong, no sticky bolt, no cratering, no flattening, and .003" case head expansion and they still take primers like new cases. This was all done in a factory chamber. Imo retumbo is to slow for 168s especially in a short barrel. Btw 73grns H1000 hit 3190fps but es was horrible.

I don't know if people are sissy's or can't recognize pressure. I have 20 winchester cases that had the factory round shot out of them and they have there 8th reload in them, these where used to try to detroy the cases, they have been charged as high as 73grns of H1000 and 68.5grns H4831sc, they're still going strong, no sticky bolt, no cratering, no flattening, and .003" case head expansion and they still take primers like new cases. This was all done in a factory chamber. Imo retumbo is to slow for 168s especially in a short barrel. Btw 73grns H1000 hit 3190fps but es was horrible.

I guess if you don't consider it a pressure sign to have your headstamp wiped clean by your ejector, then by all means push it past 71.0 grains of Retumbo with a Berger 180. :) just kidding ya' backwoods. I fully understand where you are coming from.

Who knows? maybe my lot of Retumbo is hotter, but 70 grains is as high as I can safely push, even in a long throated chamber. However, I am still where I need to be velocity wise at 3058 fps, so I guess I just burn a little less powder to get there.

No Brent you are correct, the newest lots of Retumbo are a tid bit hotter just like the deal with everyones pet H1000 loads they had to back down. I still have quite a bit of the old batches, I also do not recommend anyone starting anywhere near the charge weights I listed and I don't use charges that high either, just good to know what is "to much". I load for accuracy and low ES, then I'll worry about velocity.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.