Savage Long Range Hunter

timberelk

Wanted to see if anyone has weighted the savage long range hunter without the stock or if anyone can tell me what the stock weights?

I'm not longer looking for a super light weight rifle but want to keep the weight down as much as possible. Would adding a Boyd's feather weight stock to the savage 11 LRH make the rifle heavier or lighter?

Also any opinion between the savage 11 LRH vs the Savage 11 Throphy hunter would be appreciated.

You will get some negative coments on either savages, chances are you will NOT get negative comments on a Remington mil spec 5r.

You will get some negative coments on either savages, chances are you will NOT get negative comments on a Remington mil spec 5r.

I was under the impression that Remington has been declining over the last few years?

I was under the impression that Remington has been declining over the last few years?

Maybe, who knows, but not on that model. Some say replace the trigger, but others are fine with it. Out of the box as is, and for the money you would hard pressed to find better.

On the opposite side, I will never buy another factory Remington again. I am thru with recalls, warranty issues, bad customer service, etc.
I would buy the Savage. You can rebarrel it yourself to a shorter, lighter barrel or change calibers.

Can anyone comment on the trophy hunter 11 vs long range hunter 11?
I can't on those two, but can on a standard 110 in 300wm I've had for around 8yrs. Extremely smooth compared to the brand new Remy I just handled last weekend. I've restocked my Savage, but still running the same barrel and it's under .5moa if I do my part.

The long range hunters have 26" barrels that are heavier contour. The Karsten style adjustable check piece and adjustable muzzle break. The trophy hunter have 22" stand and 24" magnum barrels of lighter contour. Fine for stalking and walking all day. Not an ideal set-up for making long shots on game. Punching paper or ringing steel getting the extra speed of the longer tube means little. Hunting being able to get an extra 40-80fps never hurts

Can't comment on the difference between the way models, but I can say something about the lrh. My brother bought one in 338 Lapua, and it's down right boring! Took only a few shots out of the box with factory 300 grain smks to hit at 1000 yards. One of the easier setups I've ever had!

I have the .338 lapua. You will add some weight with a Boyd's for sure as the stock plastic is very light. Won't be a terrible thing I would still do it. I replaced mine with a xlr chassis and like it.

I have the long range hunter in 6.5 Creed.
It shot very well in the accustock.
I put mine in a Choate tactical stock and it's easily a honest 1/2" gun, with many groups going below that.
I have a model 10 in 243, model 110 in 7 mag,
112 magnum target 338 Lapua and the LRH. All of them are in the safe because of their accuracy.

i have the 338 lapua and creedmore too the stock plastic is very light

Bummer... I was hoping to make the rifle a little lighter because it will be used for long range hunting but I will hike many miles over step terrain with it so that's why I'm lookig for a semi light weight gun... I had the Bergara HMR in a 6.5 and once I install a scope, bipod and a muzzle break the rifle was just a chore to carry and I sold it

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.