Savage build...?

Rs130754

First of all I have been doing a lot of reading and thinking the past several months. I feel even more confused now. I would like to get into some longer range or even mid range shooting. We have recently moved from town to the wide open spaces of rural Iowa. Since the in-laws farm and I am still in good standing with them I have access to about 6K acres of ground where I can shoot and hunt.

I would like to get either a .260 Remington or a 6.5 Creedmoor. I like what I hear about savage rifles but no one model jumps out at me. Being a teacher (i.e. low pay) my budget is limited. I like the model 10 predator max but hate the stock. I like the 12 LRP but the barrel is a bit too heavy to lug around coyote hunting.

So I got to think with summer coming and lots of free time should I just try to piece my own rifle together. That is where the questions come in. Could I get a Savage action, and from what I have read install my own barrel? Then just purchase my stock of choice and have the rifle I want without having to remove or add things to make it what I want. Also, where would be my best options to locate my materials. I am within driving distance of Brownells.

I am looking forward to hearing your input. If this has been asked before please don't crucify me too bad.

First of all I have been doing a lot of reading and thinking the past several months. I feel even more confused now. I would like to get into some longer range or even mid range shooting. We have recently moved from town to the wide open spaces of rural Iowa. Since the in-laws farm and I am still in good standing with them I have access to about 6K acres of ground where I can shoot and hunt.

I would like to get either a .260 Remington or a 6.5 Creedmoor. I like what I hear about savage rifles but no one model jumps out at me. Being a teacher (i.e. low pay) my budget is limited. I like the model 10 predator max but hate the stock. I like the 12 LRP but the barrel is a bit too heavy to lug around coyote hunting.

So I got to think with summer coming and lots of free time should I just try to piece my own rifle together. That is where the questions come in. Could I get a Savage action, and from what I have read install my own barrel? Then just purchase my stock of choice and have the rifle I want without having to remove or add things to make it what I want. Also, where would be my best options to locate my materials. I am within driving distance of Brownells.

I am looking forward to hearing your input. If this has been asked before please don't crucify me too bad.

Savage is an excellent action to build on esp. for a DIY. I always start with a realistic budget when purchasing a rifle or a project build, what's yours?

You might also want to consider >>> http://www.ershawbarrels.com/build-your-e-r-shaw-mk-VII-rifle.htm

I have looked at ERShaw and they appear to have mixed reviews. The wait time as of a month ago was just inside of a year. My budget for the rifle only would be around $1000 but if a few hundred more got me something better I would be willing to spend it. Optics wise I have an older Nikon Monarch 6.5-20x44 and an older Leopold fixed power scope.
Any thoughts on the Remington Gen2 5R? I have heard Remington is hit or miss these days and again I can get an SPS on the cheap but would have to toss the stock and the barrel isn't what I am after. Maybe I should just buy that CZ 550 Varmint .308 that has been at a dealer that seems like forever.

You can get new Savage actions, tools, and barrels from Northland Shooter Supply. It's a well known stopping point for Savage folks.
Actions – Northland Shooters Supply

Also can get barrels from bugholes. You can spend a few bucks here but you can have them cut you a chamber on a Bartlein cut rifled barrel. Worth it.
BARRELS

Boyde stocks are good, inexpensive, and nice looking.
https://www.boydsgunstocks.com/find-a-stock

The custom barrel is what will set your Savage build apart from a factory Savage and is a good investment for accuracy.

Factory ammo? Go 6.5 Creed
Handloads? The 260 can be a good option, for the available Lapua brass. Lapu is now making 6.5 Creed brass but it uses a small primer pocket. It might have ignition issues in cold Iowa weather (maybe). But others like Norma make very good Creed brass these days also.

It WILL be FUN.gun)

Thanks for the tip. I should also mention that I am not hung up on Savage and would consider anything. Even the Howa barreled actions sparked my interest but the barrel contour is on the light side for what I want. Thanks again.

If you want to go with Savage, check out Savage Shooters

They have a classified section that is fairly busy. I bought a Savage off there and traded away a Savage barreled action. Lots of folks with plenty of knowledge there. Of course Barrelnut knows plenty, also.

The Savage I bought from there was a .338 Edge with McGowen barrel and a laminated Boyd's stock. I had it put in a BR stock and some other work done to it. It's a large-shank single shot. It can't eject a loaded round, but that's OK with me.

20161024_101402-vi.jpg

If you want this hideous stock, you can have it for postage. It looks worse up close.

savage_338Edge-vi.jpg

I also have a Savage stainless small shank 7mm Remington Magnum that I plan to rebarrel. I'd let the 7mm barrel go for a good price, if you have any interest.

If your looking to build, Grab a Gun on the web has Remington actions pretty reasonable. I'm not fond of Remington but a build off one of their actions should be OK.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.