• You must be a Supporting Member to create a listing in the Long Range Hunting Marketplace. To read all the rules, click here.

We offer multiple options to become a Supporting Member here.

Savage (Axis) barrel - .35 Whelen, 9.3x62 Mauser, ..?

tbird86

I picked up an Axis action (originally .30-06) this weekend, and am looking to rebarrel to an Iowa-legal deer cartridge -- .35 cal or larger projectile.

I'd prefer a long action cartridge for this one.

It would really nice if the muzzle was already threaded 5/8"-24, too.

.35 Whelen
9.3x62mm Mauser
... other ideas..?

I will have a brand new, unfired .30-06 lightweight stainless barrel available at the end of this project, if that may be of any interest to you.

Fat finger above.M98 action,shilen barrel with magnaport.Bell and Carlson stock...lotsa ammo and brass...
750$ shipped to normal U.S.

I imagine finding a used one will be hard to find. Here is a new one which isn't too pricey.

I'm looking for something that shoots flatter than my current .45-70, so the .450 Marlin is out, but I've been watching that Whelen barrel. It's been out of stock since I've been looking at them at this point though.

One option would be to have jess rebore you one to whatever you want. I thought the axis line of barrels weren't the same as 110-112 for some reason but I'm not at all sure about that

One option would be to have jess rebore you one to whatever you want. I thought the axis line of barrels weren't the same as 110-112 for some reason but I'm not at all sure about that
The barrels are the same, but the action bolt spacing is different so the stocks aren't shared.

The ss barrel I have is pretty light and I'm not sure if he can work with it - likely it won't be threadable even if he will bore it out. I'm looking to see if there's a used barrel (or the Shaw kit) available less than the $325 + outbound shipping.

You guys have it tough! I did see a 458wm on eBay but that's probably not the one you want either 🤦🏻‍♂️
So does it have to be straight walled as well or just above 35 cal?

You guys have it tough! I did see a 458wm on eBay but that's probably not the one you want either 🤦🏻‍♂️
So does it have to be straight walled as well or just above 35 cal?
2 seasons ago they removed the straight-walled restriction, but kept the .350" minimum & added a 500 FPE minimum.

The ss barrel I have is pretty light and I'm not sure if he can work with it - likely it won't be threadable even if he will bore it out. I'm looking to see if there's a used barrel (or the Shaw kit) available less than the $325 + outbound shipping.
You will probably be hard pressed to find anything before this season. You will probably have to have one made and that will probably take 4 months. ER Shaw has about the best prices for a chrome moly blued.

Just for fun I went to er Shaw and with a threaded muzzle for a 35whelan it's right at $300. I've always wanted a 35 whelan just can't justify anymore big bores.