Savage action size

sapper299

I have not been able to nail down what action I can use for a new project.
I want to build a long range rig based on a .338 Remington Ultra Magnum. I have chosen Savage as they tend not to need all the tuning that I have had to do to my Remington. I just need to know if the standard length long action in current production is long enough to handle this round. Savage said no (but the guy I spoke with did not seem to be that swift with technical questions), Sharp Shooter Supply said yes. They dont make a factory rifle in this caliber anymore and the older models are hard to find. So, if anyone can answer this I would appreciate it.

Thanks

The standard long action is the same size as the one they used to build the RUMs. The standard long action mag box is only 3.4" and the RUM/H&H mag box is 3.6".

I am not an expert but I believe you will need to change the magazine, bolt face, and be sure to pick the right barrel shank. The Short mags, and nearly all the Ultra mags are Large Shank. The other long actions are standard shank with the exception of some target actions. Below is a link with pretty good pricing on Shilen/Savage barrels. They give the measurements of each shank.

This page was last updated on

By the way you can send them a dummy round based on your magazine length and preferred bullet and they will throat the barrel to match your specs for no additional cost.

Last edited:
Any long action should work if you are going to use it single shot. But most will be small shank which is fine if you have a small shank barrel. For this reason I am using a short action for my 300RUM build (I already have the barrel). I am pretty sure if I use the CRF bolt face I will be able to pull a live round without pulling the bolt and it will eject a spent round..

Last edited:
If your going to do a single shot,you should be able to go with one of the new target actions,but you wont be able to extract a live round without pulling the bolt.The ultramag bolt head is available from SSS and the new target action is large shank and probably quite a bit more rigid than one of the actions cut for a magazine.I dont remember for sure but I believe the extraction port on the target action was a little over 3".

I just built a 338 RUM for a shooting buddy of mine on a Savage Target/LRPV action. What the others have said is true, you will not be able to extract a live round without removing the bolt.

You have another option as well - LA Savage single shot. 99% sure it will be a small shank action though, I have yet to see a large shank single shot long action.

There is a little more meat in the Target/LRPV actions, as they are large shank. A 1.350 barrel is almost a perfect fit for the Target/LRPV action.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.