Savage 6.5-284 norma build

Good evening. I was bored last week cleaning up gun room and had a long action from a savage 110 7mm. Also found a standard bolt face, barrel nut, and recoil lug. My son had a long action savage stock we never used, add it all up and all i need is a barrel for a new rifle. The 6.5-284 norma came to mind. Nss has 24" light varmints and 26" criterion varmints in stock. I ordered some norma brass and 140 vlds. Loaded with h4350 from 46-50gr in one gr increments. Please advise?!?

6.5 mm 140 gr Berger VLD Hunting Retumbo 58 gr
Lapua Brass
Fed 210 primer
CBTO 2.435
Trim length 2.16 Neck tension - 0.292 Case to datum - fired 1.841
Case to datum - resized 1.839
MV 2983 ES 13

Without checking my book, I believe I'm at 52 grains H4831sc, 140 Sierra btsp, right at 2950 fps from a 27" Krieger. Don't use this load cuz I'm NOT sure of my data. But brother this rifle is a tack driver! Savage M110, Boyd's Prairie Hunter, Leupold 6-18

Attachments

• IMG_0949.JPG
    IMG_0949.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 99
Per evryones suggestion Im gonna grab some retumbo and load some more vlds with h4831 and the retumbo. I have a 257 roy that i wanted ro try the retumbo in anyway:)
Anyone got a used small shank barrel for sale?!? Im ready to shoot this concoction of components!

Just received my new barrel for my 6.5x284 last night. I bought the ER Brown Accuracy barrel...26" 1:8 CM varmint.

Replacing a 24" Savage factory profile barrel...running Lupus brass. I like R26 in it, but have not found any lately, so break in wI'll be 4831SC.

I have done load development for 2 6.5-284 Norma's and both liked R26. They were both around 2950 in a 24 inch barrel. I will check the charge weight if you want to try R26

Just received my new barrel for my 6.5x284 last night. I bought the ER Brown Accuracy barrel...26" 1:8 CM varmint.

Replacing a 24" Savage factory profile barrel...running Lupus brass. I like R26 in it, but have not found any lately, so break in wI'll be 4831SC.
The er brown was what i wanted but theyre oos until Fall. I'm either gonna find a good deal on a used barrel in the next few days or end up im springing for the criterion at NSS

Savage target action. Criterion 28" bull. Would need to look at my notes but I believe 51 gr of 4831sc. 2950 FPS. Have had groups in the high 1's. Average 1/4-3/8 MOA. Likes the Sierra 142 MK over everything else. Really hoping it would like the RDF's but have not had much luck with them. 140VLD are around 3/8-1/2 MOA.

I use 53.5 gr of H4831, and a 142 Sierra, Danzac coated, out of my 30"Benchmark Bull barrel on a Savage 110 action, I get 3150 fps, and half MOA out to 1100 yds, the longest farm range I have access to. I use Win WLR primers with no issues, lapua or Norma brass!

I
The er brown was what i wanted but theyre oos until Fall. I'm either gonna find a good deal on a used barrel in the next few days or end up im springing for the criterion at NSS
Don't think you would be disappointed in the Criterion. In addition to my previous post on this thread showing performance with my 6.5x284 hunter, my other Criterion, a 6.5x47 Bull built on a Savage short action used for 300 yards Egg Shoots is as accurate as any barrel I have owned. Just took delivery of a third barrel for a PRS rifle build.
200 yard target.
A7823C2A-CB79-4F7D-BF9A-9340581111D8.jpeg

Those criterions definitely shoot! More than likely I may end up with their 24" light varmint. I really wanted a 26, but they only have the varmint contour, and i was really wanting to keep the muzzle diameter around .70-.75", just thick enough for playing at the bench with out barrel heating up and barely thin enough to pack on a long hike. If a 26" with a similar contour doesn't become available I will end up going with the 24"

Wow, I just ordered it last Wednesday!

PM sent

Good evening. I was bored last week cleaning up gun room and had a long action from a savage 110 7mm. Also found a standard bolt face, barrel nut, and recoil lug. My son had a long action savage stock we never used, add it all up and all i need is a barrel for a new rifle. The 6.5-284 norma came to mind. Nss has 24" light varmints and 26" criterion varmints in stock. I ordered some norma brass and 140 vlds. Loaded with h4350 from 46-50gr in one gr increments. Please advise?!?
Both the 6.5 x284 I have like retumbo in one and h1000 in the other. Had good results with h4831 but got faster tighter consistency with the slower burning powders.

This sounds like a way my wife would get me to clean the house. Just hide a bunch of gun parts around the house and tell me to clean until I find them.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.