savage 300wm/3.375" group at 625 yards.

30-06 boy

hey guys,have some good news and a few questions.was out on friday morning with my brother shooting our heavy barrelled factory savages in bench rest stocks with bench restbags and custom aluminum portable bench.both are 300wm.trying 208 amax.had been shooting 200smk.my brothers rifle with imr 7828 and 208 amax shot a 3.375 3shot group at 625 yards at 2840 fps.i didnt load any with 7828 but had h1000 and h4831sc.the best my rifle shot with the 208's was 7.500 for 3 shots.but speed was 2950.do you guys think in your experience these are traveling too fast.might my group tighten up if i slow them down some.i did however shoot a load with 200smk at 5" for 3 shots.these savage factory rifles have really opened my eyes.we havent even had time to "tune"these loads yet.savage =good products.thanks guys.jason

Nothing on your load data, but curious on the barrel length and contour and the stock type. Also the action type. (Repeater or single shot)

I just picked up a factory 26" stainless varmint fluted to place on a 116 action and if were using the same artillery, I'm going to pay more attention to your post.;)

May pick your brain a little too if you don't mind.

Jeff

p.s. What scope are you using?

surveyor,both are 110 long action repeaters with the magazine removed to keep the magazine area of the stock one solid piece of wood.tring to keep things as rigid as possible.my rifle is a 110fp police model 24"barrell with a smith installed muzzle brake.also has the accutrigger.my brothers rifle has a barrell just like the one you described on it.he picked it up on ebay.his also has a brake.they both have richard microfit benchrest stocks on them.(they have a website if you want to look at the stocks)we use burris posi line rings with plastic inserts to get proper scope "tilt".and finnaly they both wear nikon buckmaster 6-18x40mm scopes.am pretty happy with the results so far.jason

I have a savage 110 fcp-k and hand loaded 208s with 79 gr h1000 for 2860fps. my best group is .277in at 100. i have not streched it out for groups but i drive out from the target and shoot off a bipod in the bed of my truck at diff ranges to see if my ballistics charts works out and i'm happy with this load.

I have an older Savage Competition model in 300 WM. The 180 Nosler BT's work great all the way out...especially under 800. The 208's and H4831 work VERY well on out to 1000. Best group at 1K yards is sub 8" for 5 shots....repeated multiple times....even in the wind.

Prefer to keep my bullet speed in the 29xx + range.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.